Color it Gray

Chapter Fifteen: Color it Gray

Gray swallowed nervously. He and the rest of the guild were standing at the head of Magnolia, right on the main road. Just where Zeref would be. Where Natsu would be.

Speaking of Natsu... Gray glanced sideways at Lucy. He didn't know what he could do. She seemed... Depressed. A knot formed in his throat as he thought of all the hardships she had been through already. Lucy was pretty damn tough.

But the things that they had experienced in the past hour had really shaken them both up.

Gray remembered it clearly.

~FLASHBACK~

Master took Lucy by the arm and pulled her away from the rest of the guild. He motioned towards Gray, urging him to follow as well.

They stood in the corner of the guild, furthest from the mass of the members.

"You two are Natsu's closest friends." Master stated simply.

Gray and Lucy nodded slowly.

"The two of you will have the most dangerous job in this battle."

Gray closed his eyes, preparing himself for what was to come.

"You two have the task of hunting down Natsu."

There it was was. Gray exhaled slowly. "Okay," He said. "Okay. And what do we do? Drag him back here? Do severe magical 'experimenting' until we're able to free him from that damned spell?" Gray's voice was getting louder. "How the hell do we even accomplish that in the first place?! How do you hurt a friend, even when they're hurting you?! He doesn't even KNOW THAT THIS IS HAPPENING, HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING! YES, I HAVE MY FIGHTS WITH HIM, BUT WE NEVER REALLY DO HURT EACH OTHER!" Gray's face was contorted into a mix of rage, pain, and desperation. "WHY CAN'T THAT IDIOT EVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT, DAMN IT!" Gray paused, and caught his breath. "I don't think I can do it, Gramps. I don't think I can."

Master's face was expressionless. "Lucy, a moment please."

She nodded silently, and walked back towards the crowd.

Master was quiet for a moment, them spoke. "Gray, you love Lucy, don't you?"

Gray froze. Was it that obvious? He narrowed his eyes in sorrow. But it would never work out... "Yes, I do."

Master nodded. "And you realize that she doesn't think more of you other than a good friend?"  

Gray's heart gave a painful throb. "Yes."

"And you have discovered that she loves Natsu, and he loves her back?"