Chapter Four: Zane

'This is taking too long', Zane thought as he was sitting inside the bus for almost an hour.

Zane knew Ron was quiet most of the time, an introvert actually, but he couldn't help but wonder if Ron might suddenly decide to break his silence and launch into a non-stop chatterbox mode. Given how bored Zane was, he thought this might be the perfect moment for a surprise transformation, especially since he really needed someone to talk to.

"We are arriving at the port, please get ready with your bags and exit quickly, as we are already late," Mr. Anderson announced. He was the one teacher the students considered more of a friend than an authority figure.

"Finally!" Zane exclaimed. He didn't realize Ron had fallen asleep. Zane quickly woke him up, and they started gathering their bags from their storage spots.

The bus came to a stop. Teachers exited the bus first and instructed to follow quietly, without any bustle or noise. Despite the instructions the students rushed out noisily.

Zane and Ron waited at the back for the commotion to calm down. "How can they have this much less self-control", Ron remarked sleepily.

Zane looked at Ron with a curious face as he wasn't sure if Ron was just kidding, then he smirked,"oh, look at you, talking all mature now" he said, pausing for a snort."as if you weren't about to beat the shit out of Steve for just talking with Eva."

A chuckle came from behind them. Zane realized they were standing in front of Eva and her friends. He and Ron turned around to find Sia giggling at Eva, who was blushing and looking down on her shoes, her face pink. Zane risked a glance at Ron and saw his face was red with anger.

Zane regretted his comment and quickly tried to move things along. "Come on, it's time for you to get off" Zane said, gently pulling Sia by her elbow in a playful manner. Sia, still laughing, followed him out.

From outside the bus, Zane could hear Ron attempting to clear things up with Eva, his words stumbling, "I, um... what he said-" Before he could finish, Cassie interjected, unable to stand the awkwardness any longer. "I think they're waiting for us to get out, so we better go now," she said, ushering Eva out of the bus. Ron followed closely behind them, grateful for the distraction.

"I'm sorry, man," Zane said, a grin on his face. He wasn't one to apologize often, so he couldn't resist adding, "I should've thrown in the bit about how much you love her." He chuckled, and Ron offered a forgiving smile in return.

As Ms Mereena said, the Saints school's students had been waiting for them there. There were thirty-two students and five teachers from the Saints school. From the look in their eyes Zane could understand how bored they were, waiting.

The students from Saints High School were gathered near the ship they would be boarding for their journey.

Most of them held a serious face, though a few were smiling, while others wore curious looks as they took in the unfamiliar faces around them.

Zane could only recognise some of them, one was Bellamy, the rival of Ron. Zane had watched the game of chess between Ron and Bellamy, it was too intense that the audience, including Zane, were sweating because of the tension.

The second person he recognized was Tessa, one of the standout players from the Saints basketball team. He remembered seeing her during the match against his girlfriend, one of the top basketball players at his own school. It was the first time he'd seen his girlfriend struggle on the court, and it was because she was up against Tessa's formidable team.

'Damn, she looks hot evenin her school uniform and not just in a sleeveless basketball jersey', he thought as he smiled at her.

The last few were the ones he knew more than the others. They were the football players whom his team was up against.

He recognised Finn, who played as one of their attackers, he played on the Saints football team's right wing. He was a fine player, if he had just minimised his skills he would've done a lot more better.

Then there was Johnathan, their second-best player, who played as an attacking left winger. He scored the first goal in their match and had an attitude as strong as his skills on the field.

And finally, the greatest player among all the football teams in the tournament, Sam. He scored two goals and even blocked a direct shot by Zane with ease. Despite his role as a center forward, he quickly sprinted back to support his team's defenders, when needed. His performance earned Zane's respect.

Zane did remember seeing some of the faces infront of him but he only knew the names of these three.

Zane regretted playing in a team where Steve was the captain. He did it for the sake of his school. Steve did nothing but run around the ground during the entire match against Saints.

In the added time of two minutes, after they somehow made a draw of three - three, Zane got the ball from the centre and dribbled forward, cutting off as many players as he could and finally reached before the goal post with just the goalkeeper to beat.

He saw Steve on his right side waiting and screaming for his pass, but it wasn't necessary so he placed the ball towards the right corner of the post and shot.

It completely defeated the goalie as he dived for the ball and it moved forward between the goalie's hands. Then right when Zane's lips started to form a smile, he saw Steve raising his leg to the ball which was already halfway in and kicked it inside making it his goal. The referee whistled and the game was over with them winning.

Zane couldn't accept what he just saw, ofcourse football is a game played by the support of the eleven players. But to steal an obvious goal of his, after doing absolutely nothing for the entire match? Zane couldn't express how angry he was. Even angrier everytime Steve brags about how he, all by himself, scored a winning goal, to his classmates and even to the teachers who didn't come to watch the match

The students from Unison High School stood on the opposite side of Saints High School, each students' eyes staring at the other's. Between them was a wooden bridge to enter the ship. The intensity of the moment was high.

Zane took a step forward, then another, he didn't stop until he was one foot behind to banging his head onto Sam's.

"You were that left-winger during the football match. Your name" Sam paused trying to remember, then said,"Zane, was it?"

Zane was surprised that Sam, the toughest player he ever went against, remembered his name from a single match. Though he didn't show it on his face.

"Obviously, you wouldn't forget me" Zane smirked and put his right hand forward for a handshake. Sam smiled and held the hand, then shook it gently. Zane looked into Sam's, dark brown, almost black, eyes

Sam had an athletic body and a dark skin. Zane felt as if Sam's body was more bulked, seeing it up close.

Zane realized he broke the tension between the schools as he saw others followed him and went towards the ones they knew.