Chapter 15: Sadness and Happiness

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I think today is the perfect day for you guys to rest or do something you want to do that's not related to school or – other things." I looked straight at him on his last couple of words. Wycliffe had no idea of the things I was doing outside my normal life. I would never be risky when it came to him.

"And that's definitely not staying at home. Let's go out for few hours." Tila nabuhayan si Wycliffe sa sariling ideya.

"Yes. You can go out together, watch a movie or go shopping. Don't let this day go wasted," sang-ayon ni Ethan. But I was very skeptic about this idea. I shouldn't just take this for granted. I still had a mission. Well, that could wait until tonight.

"Only the two of us together? That would make this day entirely and extremely boring!" Pabiro at tumatawang sagot ni Wycliffe. I know he meant it as a joke but that still made me want to break some bones in my brother's body.

"Or I can just drive you to school right now," seryoso kong sabi. His jolly expression turned troubled.

"Oh, please Hetta! I've never been absent in my whole school life. I think I'm going to transform into one of the desks there if I'm not gonna take a break. Let's just go out today. Let's bring Elric." I frowned at the name and then I realized that was how I introduced Ethan to him. Elric, my writer friend. But bringing this so called friend outside would definitely be a bad idea. It was like lighting a cigarette in a gasoline station. Lalo pa at gumugulo pa rin sa isip ko ang nangyari kaninang madaling araw.

I didn't know how Wycliffe got me behind the wheels, drove my Mercedes Benz G500 across the lawn to the back of the mansion. I was tapping my fingers as I waited for them to climb down from the tree house. I was actually thinking of backing out but the disappointment on Wycliffe's face made it difficult to do. Nang sa wakas ay bumaba na sila, napagdesisyunan kong ituloy na lang ang plano sa ngayon. Apparently, my parents went out early today kung kaya't nagawa ni Wycliffe na hindi pumasok ng school. Pumuwesto agad ang kapatid ko sa likuran ng sasakyan kung kaya't sa passenger seat umupo si Ethan. It was better. I could grab him if ever he tried jumping off the car. Hindi tumigil si Wycliffe sa pag-iexpress ng kanyang excitement habang nasa daan kami. Ethan seemed to be amused by it. Mukhang nagkakasundo na talaga sila.

We ended up in an Amusement Park. It wasn't the first time we've been in an amusement park. It was both our second time actually. Hindi ko matandaan ang eksaktong panahon ng huling pagpunta ko sa lugar na tulad nito sapagkat bata pa ako nun and the only thing I remember I could ride was Carousel. And I was sure Wycliffe could't remember it.

This boy was already itching to get on the first booth he saw. Basketball shooting. Sumunod kami sa kanya at pinanuod ang pawisang manlalaro na pilit inaabot ang nais na score upang makuha ang premyo. The price? It was a big, white teddy bear. Mukhang maraming oras at salapi na rin ang iginugol niya makamit lang ito.

"I'm gonna try this," desididong wika ni Wycliffe.

I looked at him and said, "It's a waste of time. We can just go to a mall and buy a bigger teddy bear," wika ko. I didn't want him to end up like that guy who was still shooting hoops despite of the exhaustion.

"But that's the reason why we're here, right? To waste our time," tumatawang wika ni Wycliffe habang patuloy na pinapanuod ang lalaking naglalaro. He was right. We were wasting our time here. I had a lot of things to do and they were all hanging on the air just because I was in a chaotic, noisy and crowded place like this.