The Next Day

The sun streamed through Wonwoo's window, prickling his eye lids in the late hours of the morning. He squeezed his eyes shut, turning away from the sun and attempting to roll to the other side of his bed, only to be stopped by what he could only describe as a wall. He reluctantly opened his eyes and was met with the handsome sleeping face of Kim Mingyu, who also happened to not be wearing a shirt. Wonwoo's breath was caught in his throat, as he slightly moving back in surprise. Mingyu half woke up and groaned at the loss of contact, circling his arm around Wonwoo's waist and pulling him back towards him so they were pressed up together.

Wonwoo hesitated, still keeping some distance between him and Mingyu as he watched him sleep. Wonwoo laid there, as stiff as a board trying not to wake him. Mingyu mumbled something in his sleep, Wonwoo didn't quite catch it but it ended with him holding Wonwoo tighter. Eventually, Mingyu's eyes drifted open and Wonwoo shyly looked to the side to avoid eye contact.

"Morning Won." He managed to get out.

"Good morning." Wonwoo smiled. Mingyu placed a hand on Wonwoo's back, rubbing it up and down.

"You feel okay? Still hurting?" Mingyu asked concerned and Wonwoo shook his head shyly. "Good." He leaned in to place a kiss on Wonwoo's forehead and lips. Wonwoo smiled into the kiss, pulling away slowly.

"Chan's throwing a party today." Wonwoo said looking into Mingyu's eyes. "You should come, be my date."

"I'll be there." Mingyu's hands drifted down Wonwoo's body as he placed kisses on his neck. Wonwoo gladly complied, shifting his head so Mingyu had more room to kiss. Just as Mingyu's hand was about to reach below Wonwoo's waist, a notification came through his phone. Mingyu groaned as he pulled away, reaching over to Wonwoo's bedside table to check his phone. He widened his eyes and sat up. There was a reminder from the calendar app for 12pm and it was currently 11:15am.

"Oh my god I have a date with Tzuyu today." He scrambled out of bed.

"What?" Wonwoo asked, his voice slightly caught in his throat.

"I'm so sorry Won I have to go." Mingyu sped around the room trying to figure out which clothes were his and which ones were Wonwoo.

"Mingyu I-." Wonwoo tried to get anything out.

"I'll message you later okay?" Mingyu spoke as he pulled back on his pants and dress shirt. Wonwoo felt paralysed, he wasn't quite sure what to say until a sudden realisation hit him as Mingyu was leaving the room. Wonwoo ran to the top of the stairs and looked at him opening the front door.

"Wait Mingyu you don't have my-" Mingyu shut the door on his way out. "Number..." Wonwoo said sadly.

———

Mingyu fiddled with his napkin, his gaze drifting to the window where the city skyline was highlighted by the noon sunlight. The clinking of silverware and the soft murmur of conversation filled the air, but his mind was elsewhere, lost in a maze of conflicting emotions. Ever since his parents had heard about Tzuyu and her parents, they suggested he pursue her.

"So, Mingyu," Tzuyu's voice broke through his thoughts, her eyes bright with anticipation, "what do you think of the food here?"

"It's, uh, it's great," Mingyu replied, forcing a smile as he picked at his dish.

Tzuyu tilted her head, a small frown creasing her brow.

"You seem distracted. Is everything okay?"

Mingyu's heart clenched at her concern. She was sweet, kind, everything he should want in a partner.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just... tired from the networking night." He offered a small smile.

Their parents arrived, ushered in by the attentive waitstaff. Mingyu straightened in his seat, plastering on a more convincing smile as he greeted them.