The Network

In the grand hall of the university, where the walls echoed with the whispers of ambition and the clinking of champagne glasses, the annual networking banquet unfolded like clockwork. It was an event meticulously orchestrated, designed solely for the purpose of connecting students with potential mentors, collaborators, and future employers. The air buzzed with anticipation as students adorned in their finest attire gathered, each one armed with business cards and rehearsed elevator pitches. Yet, amidst the opulent decor and the promise of professional opportunities, one student stood apart, feeling the weight of dread settling in his chest. Wonwoo knew all too well that this banquet was more than just a social gathering; it was a battlefield of networking prowess, where success or failure could shape the trajectory of one's career. The cuffs of his undershirt were giving him grief, but the University sent out a strict dress code a month before the event, stating that there is no room for colloquial language and inappropriate clothing. So, Wonwoo shed off his usual sweaters and adorned a black suit with a matching black tie.

"Wonwoo!" He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around, met by the face of his favourite freshman.

"Chan, how are you?" He smiled. The younger man was wearing a navy blue suit with a striped tie, his teeth sparkled as he grinned at Wonwoo.

"I'm good... are you ready to dance?" Chan wriggled his shoulders at Wonwoo, which made him confused.

"What are you talking about?"

"Didn't you read the notice? All students will be required to do a short 5 minute ballroom segment together." Chan smiled.

"WHAT?!" Wonwoo exclaimed, his eyes widening at the same time. "Are you playing some sick prank on me?"

"It's right here." Chan pulled out his phone and showed Wonwoo the email. "Thanks to yours truly to promote my dance classes."

"This can't be real." Wonwoo put his face in his hands.

"Well it is, and you need a partner." Chan replied and Wonwoo looked at him once more, clasping his hands together in a pleasing manner.

"Chan pleaseeee be my partner!" Wonwoo whined.

"Look Won, I would if I could but I already promised to be someone else's."

"Chan!" Wonwoo shook him.

"I'm sorry Won. Promises are promises." He pat Wonwoo on the shoulder with an apologetic smile.

As Wonwoo stood at the edge of the grand hall, awaiting the commencement of the mandatory ballroom dance, a sense of nervous anticipation washed over him. His eyes darted anxiously around the room, searching for a potential partner amidst the throng of elegantly dressed attendees. With each passing moment, the weight of his solitude grew heavier, and he felt the pressure mounting as the start of the dance drew nearer.

Despite his best efforts to appear composed, his heart raced with apprehension, knowing that soon he would be expected to join the swirling sea of couples on the dance floor. The thought of navigating the intricate steps alone filled him with a mix of dread and longing for companionship. He silently wished for someone to take pity on him, to offer a kind smile and a hand to lead him through the graceful motions of the waltz.

Out of the corner of his eye he spotted Hwang Minhyun, the head of software engineering at the company Atlantic. This was an opportunity he could not miss. Wonwoo carefully patted down his clothes, fixing every crease before approaching him.

"Hwang Minhyun?" Wonwoo stuck out his hand for a handshake. "I'm Jeon Wonwoo." Minhyun smiled at him, offering back a firm handshake.

"Nice to meet you Jeon Wonwoo." Minhyun replied.