4. UNOFFICIAL DATE

'All alone ha!!' her goofy voice landed on my ear, drawing my eyes from the book.
'Yes, want to join?'
'Sure.' She replied.

I wanted to pick up some books from library but my friends were busy in classes so no-one could accompany me. It felt awkward to sit in library all by myself for the past hour. But it finally paid off.
She wore a yellow t-shirt and denim shorts which gave a peek of her beautiful legs. Her mischievous hair, like always getting in the way of her beautiful face. My eyes started gliding over her beauty. I forgot that I had my own class in less than an hour and that I need to pay attention to the book. She caught me staring. I wanted to kill myself. I stirred my focus back on the book.

'What are you reading?' she said.
'Endocrinology.' I replied, focused at the words in front of me; pretending to read even though I wasn't able to process a single sentence.
'what's it about?'
'It's related to zoology.' I replied, avoiding eye contact.
'You are a zoology student?' She made an effort to start a chat.
'Yes.' I started answering in monosyllabic manner. I don't want to make an eye contact. I am afraid of getting those weird feelings back just like the last time.
'Ok.' She said in a tiny voice and started to read her book. That made me feel horrible.

I don't want any stupid feelings. The mind shouted.
In hindsight, I won't get any feelings just by talking. My heart said. I oblige.

'It's the study of endocrine glands in human body.' I said, my head finally out from the book.
'Oh, sounds interesting.' She said trying to sound enthusiastic.
'Oh, it's really not.' I said mocking her, she laughed.
'What about you?' I asked.
'I am political science.'
'What topic?'
'Indian Administration.'
'Fascinating.'
'Really? You think it's interesting?' she looked incredulous.
'Definitely! you see I don't have any clue about it, that means it's definitely a good subject. You are smart.'
'It's just about laws.'
'And how many of those are you planning to break.' I said derisively.
'None are left. That job is already done.' She smiled.
'Damn.' The feelings were back with that smile. Blood rushed my head. Heart started throbbing along with fast breathing.
How can someone have a smile like that?
Stop staring again... look away, deb.

'So, you didn't have any friends in here.' She asked. It took me half a second to shook those thoughts away and react.

'They didn't have a free lecture. All of them were busy.' I said.
'Aren't they in your subject?'
'No. They are in chemistry. What about you?'
'I just came in to borrow this book. Then I saw you sitting all alone, so came in to say hi. You see, I can't concentrate in library and I don't even let others concentrate on their work.' She chuckled at her own comment.

'Even I was about to borrow this book. Just thought to check it out first.' I lied.
'Coincidence.' She stood up. 'The counter is empty; I better borrow this.'
'Yeah, me too.' I said and stood up as well.

We walked towards the counter. There was no cue. She went up to the librarian. I was standing behind her.
Librarian was in his mid-50's. He seemed cold, curt and unfriendly. Not a guy you want to be friends with nor emulate with.
He asked for the library card and did his stuff. He pushed the book towards her when the work was done.

'Don't tear it.' He said in a grumpy voice.
'I won't' she said with a smile.

As I went up next, Lilly was standing at a distance waiting for me. My endocrine glands grinned by that sight.

'Submit it on time.' The librarian said with murderous intention.
He had a face better suited for 'crime petrol villain' than a librarian.

'Damn.' Lilly blurted out, grasping in her hand, the empty water bottle.
'You can get water at the nearby cafeteria.' I tried to sound nonchalant.
'I guess.' She replied.
'So, it's an unofficial date.'