2.1 Beginning

10 YEARS AGO

'Ting tong... Ting tong!'

My eyes flickered towards consciousness. A gentle blink as I saw 8-33. A little avian quivering on left eyelid.

However, it didn't block my morning view. A salty look of morning sun. I lurched in my bed. The cozy bed of my small apartment in Goa.

I call it cozy but it's no comparison to my bed back home in Delhi. If I had a choice on how to die, I would prefer dying in the arms of my Delhi bed.

The heart of our 2-floor house back home. It was one of the two toughest things I had to give up when I moved to Goa; the other being my mom's cooking.

'why are you going to Goa? we have B.Sc. colleges in Delhi too!' the last statement of my dad during my departure at Delhi airport 2 years back. He was right. People come to goa for party and booze, not for studies. But I don't think there's any point in telling him the real reason of 'moving to goa'.

Dad has always been a logical man. Not the sentimental type like my mother. I cannot tell my father 'hey dad! My 3 years relationship is now over. she left me. and now I don't want to see her face anymore, therefore I want to get out of Delhi. Some place where even her shadow won't reach.' He will never understand that at the age of 20 his son is whining about lost love.

But what he does understand is my financial difficulties. My college didn't have any hostel facilities so I had to get a place of my own. My dad, a small business man gave me his best. His best bought me a rented apartment in one of the populous districts of goa - Mapusa.

'Ting tong, ting tong.' The bell rang again breaking my chain of thoughts.

8-38 the clock said in my face. My morning breath warmed the pillow and I turned to my left. The annoying sound of bell was now turned into rapid thuds on the door.

'wake up bitch! We are late for college. Wake your ass up.' the grumpy voice barked outside my room. It was familiar but not pleasant. I picked up my phone.
'3 messages and 2 missed calls - Kiara.' The screen read.

'wake up! wake up! you motherfu...'
'coming!!' I retorted at the voice.
I hate this.

It's been 3 years since I've been living here, but not even a single day has passed different. The same jagged timing of sunrise, the same voice, howling outside my door, barking, waking me up. Worst possible way to start the day. I drag myself barefooted towards the door.

'you were dead or something?' the 5"6' lean guy shouted as soon as I opened the door.

Rahul is my childhood friend. He had his own rented apartment in goa. After our high school, he didn't know what to do next so when I proclaimed, I'll come here to study, he was the first to tag along. Unlike me his reason wasn't breakup it's more like 'Goan woman are hot.'

'what? I asked, were you dead? We need to go to the library, remember? Every day, the same story! Whenever I come over, you are always...' his voice became faint as I stepped inside the bathroom.
Squeezing Colgate on the toothbrush and I plonked it in my mouth. I knew that we need to go to the library but unfortunately my sleep knows no bound. Choosing between 15 marks for project and 8 hours of sleep, I think my answer is obvious.

'Did Kiara text you today?' Rahul said as I came out from the bathroom. I shook my head.
'you sure? not even a missed call?'

'Huh' I shook my head. It's better to lie than to anticipate the follow up questions 'so you two good? I thought she was angry? I don't know how you guys work things out? What does you and Kiara mean to each other? Blah blah blah...

'That's unusual. Anyway, we need to hurry! I need those notes man. Don't want to repeat the damn semester!' Rahul said switching on the television.