7.1 MOVIE

'How about we bunk it?' she suggested.
'You cannot be serious?' I looked at her still wondering if it's a joke.'
'Come on, you said you didn't like your class. And as for me, I don't like my next class either. So...' she paused and tilted her head. Trying to look all cute and innocent. It was her weapon for convincing anyone for anything.

'You are mad. We can't do this.' I said.
'You never did it before?' Her big brown eyes fixed on me.
'I have.' I said. 'But those lectures weren't important. This lecture is! Even though I hate miss Melina.'
'Ok, it's your call.' She said trying to sound aloof as we started walking towards our respective classrooms.

It was 10 am in the morning. Tea break. Usually at this hour, I sit in canteen with my friends, warming up the benches. Even today I had the same plan if I hadn't bumped into Lilly.

She wore blue jeans and yellow T-shirt. Her curves were easily noticeable. She wore a pink lipstick. Her beautiful hair now fixed still with the help of a tic-tac clip. As I thought, my legs refused to go to the canteen, so I stopped for a little chat.

But when you want the time to go slow it moves at a speed of 2000km per minute. Five minutes talk took me twenty minutes, as the bell rang. Indicating the break was over. I said, I will accompany her to her class. On the way she suggested bunking our classes.

'But, are you sure?' she said again.
'Yes.' I said.
'Ok. I didn't know you were a coward.' She whispered.
'Very funny! But I am not going to fall for that.' I said. But heart doesn't, always agrees with mind.

Maybe I can make an excuse, and bunk the class. What's the worst thing that can happen? I pondered.

you'll be shot dead. Argued the devil voice in my head.

Come on its not that bad. Melina ma'am is strict but I can think of an excuse. She will listen and understand. My heart countered back.

Dude, she had three failed marriage. It's obvious, she doesn't listen to man. Forget about understanding, she will spit fire out of her mouth if she got to know, I bunked.

'Come on it's not that bad. I am not a coward. I can bunk.' I took a sharp breath.

Ok do whatever you want to do. My mind lost to my heart. Which was very common after I met Lilly.

'What are you thinking?' her voice brought me back on earth.
'Umm. Nothing.' I said.
'Anyway, my class is in that direction.' She said pointing towards the left corridor.
'Ok.' I said.
'See you.' she stepped towards her classroom.
'Lilly!' I said.

No!! Don't said the last sensible voice of my mind.

'Yes.' She turned around.
'Maybe, we can make an exception. For today.' I said.
'Oh no. Actually, this lecture is important to me. Even though I hate the teacher.' She said in a sarcastic tone.

'Alright!' I said with a smile. 'So, where do you want to go?'
'You decide.'
'How about a movie?'
'That's unexpected. I remember you saying 'I don't like Bollywood movies.'
'In that case, I remember you saying 'I can change your mind.' Let's see if you can.' I tilted my head to mock her. She laughed

*****-----*****-----*****-----*****

'Is that really your car?' I said, checking out the Suzuki.
'Yes. Sort of.' She opened the door to the driver seat.
'Are you going to drive?' I wanted to confirm.
'Yes. Don't worry I won't kill you.' She said. 'Even though it has happened before with one my friend, it won't happen this time. I promise.' She grinned.
'That wasn't funny.' I said still standing outside.

'Come on, get in.' she insisted.
'You know what will be more fun?'
'What?'
'If I drive.'
'Don't be so stereotypical. Girls can drive too, just like guys. Now come on in.' she said.
I had little choice so I sat in. Since, I had never seen her drive before, it's better to just buckle up. But before I could get my hands on the seat belt. She started the engine and took a sharp turn. The tire screeched.

okay, maybe this wasn't the best idea.

***********

'you got a nice car.' I said once we were out on the road. She was a good driver. Thankfully, there was no traffic as well.
'Used to be my father's car. But since he got a new one. I could use this to college.' she replied looking ahead.
'What does he do?'
'He's an engineer.'
'What about your mom.'
'I don't have a mom.' She said. Dead silence. I wished I could rewind the time.

'I am sorry.' I looked at her. She was totally focused on the road. No particular expression.
'Don't be. It's ok. She passed away when I was 2 years old. It's hard to recall any memories.' She said
'Might be tough, growing up. But you had your father.' I said.
'Huh.' She whispered indicating a yes. I got a feeling that it might be a restricted topic.

'Music?' I asked changing the topic, deftly and turned the volume up. 'bad reputation' Song was up. I knew that song. Came across it when I was searching her favorite musician.
'Wow you have this song. It was Bad reputation by Joan Jett, right?' I said.
'Yeah. It was released in 1981.' she said. It was impressive that she even remembers the year.

'Hey, you know this song.' I thought to test her music knowledge. I started singing 'I hate myself for loving you.' in a goofy voice with mostly wrong lyrics. She started laughing.
'It's, I hate myself for loving you, from up your alley in 1981' she said. Her face was all bright again.

'Ok. How about...' I sang 'Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' on the river.'
'Of course.' She interrupted me 'It's proud Mary by Creedence Clearwater revival.' I was glad that she was all cheered up.
'Impressive! How about....' I continued to question she continued to answer.

*****-----*****-----*****

'Now, how about that?' She whispered as the movie rolled on.

'Ok, might be.' I whispered back.
'Admit it that all Bollywood movies are not the same. This movie didn't have even a single creepy scene till now.'
'Ok, ok... I guess you are right. Some movies show good content.' I said. 'but most movies are... 'your no is my yes.' I said a dialogue from the movie. She started laughing.

We had come to CMR - choice movie room, after a short drive. It was a small theatre like place where you can choose any movie that you want to see.

The only stipulation was that you have to choose the movie that has been released in the past 6 years and not before that. It gives you the experience of sitting in your room and watching T.V. except that you watch it on a larger screen.

She told me that she will choose the movie and I have to say yes, no matter how cheesy it is. I agreed. She chose Shahid kapoor's 'Vivah'.

I thought it might have a few creepy scenes. But I was wrong. She was confident about changing my mind. We were halfway through the movie when she asked me about the movie.

As the end started approaching the sad scenes increased. She seemed to be on the verge of crying. I picked my moment, and placed my hand gently over hers. She kept her focus on the movie, but I felt her fingers entwined in mine. I remained quiet. I didn't want to jeopardize it.