3. "LOVE"

'Hey' her perky voice startled me. I turned my attention from the non-budging window towards the voice. It was her.
'Remember me?' She said.

She wore black, skin tight jeans and a black and white striped T-shirt. She had a dark black lipstick on. She had her cute short hair well groomed. Her face reflecting the afternoon sunrays. The mysterious black line still clinging on her flowless neck. I was able to get a clear peek at it this time. It was more like a stick than a line, possibly extending all the way on her left shoulder blade, it looked like a tattoo. I could see only half, as the other half was covered by her t-shirt. She looked like a singer you see in a rock music video with a high-pitched guitar in hand.
Since our first encounter in the library a small part of me was longing for this to happen.

'Hi! how can I forget? 'Lilly' right.' I said trying to hide my anticipation. I never expected that our second meeting would be in a bus.

'Yeah.' She replied with a smile. She sat beside me as the bus sustained to find its way through the cobbled street.

'So, where you heading?' I asked.
'Heading towards home. What about you?'
'Same as well. You live in Mapusa too?'
'No. It's Panjim, actually.' She confirmed. My heart sank with that answer. I had very little time with her as my stop was about to arrive.

'So, how's you been? Did the book gave some notes?'
'oh that book. Not really it was for a friend of mine. I am not really the studying type.'
'Well I too am a 'last moment praying to God type'.' I said.
She laughed
'Didn't know you travelled by bus?' she asked.
'Yes, on regular basis.' I lied.

The reason I was in that bus in the first place was Rahul. He had a date with Naina but his car was gone for maintenance. The idiot asked for my 4-wheeler and promised me that he will finish his date and pick me up. But as always, he called me at the last moment to tell me he can't make it early. So, I had two options one is to wait at the bus stand till 6 pm or to get on a bus.

'I am glad that I got on the bus. And now as I came to think about it, I should travel in bus more often because public transport is much helpful than private vehicles. It also creates less pollution.' I thought.

'Yeah, like that's the reason to travel in a bus.' the negative voice popped up.

'I am not a frequent bus traveler.' She said.

'You still want to travel in bus?'
The voice said again. 'shut up.' I scolded myself.

Her phone buzzed. She adjusted herself to pull out the slim Samsung from her jeans. I stole a peek. There was a pop-up notification that flashed on the screen. I was able to read only one word 'Band'.

I didn't want her to think of me as a creep who reads others texts, thus I turned my attention towards the window. My stop was about to arrive. Of course, I had no idea what lies in store next so I attuned my bag to get up.

As I was about to get up. I turned, a strand of hair had fallen on her face. She kept her attention on the mobile as her hand moved toward it. Her gentle finger. Those fingers helped her to tuck away that errant wisp of hair. Inadvertently, sliding in the mix.
The sunlight playing hide and seek on her flawless skin highlighting her perfectly sculpted face. My eyes remained hooked on her, shutting out everything else.

'Mapusa.' the conductor yelled; oblivious of my feelings.

'What just happened?'

The bus came to a halt. Some people say that there are exact moments when people fall in love? Is it true? Can someone fall in love just like that? I didn't know. But I do know that it is the absolute last thing I want.

'Isn't that your stop?' Lilly said breaking my chain of thoughts.
'Umm...yes. Yes... it is. Nice to meet you.' I struggled for words.
'You too.' she said as her lip's curved to give a smile.
'Don't look.' My inside screamed. My heart was already racing I didn't know what will happen if I looked at that smile. I grabbed my bag avoiding any eye contact and sprung outside.

The bus came back into motion and stormed off. With a puddle of polluted gas cloud on my face.

'Love' the word started hurdling around my mind alongside the image of Lilly. It can't be love. it can't happen so easily. I buried that word 3 years ago. It is not love. I don't want love. Not again. But I do want to look at Lilly just a little long...