ᴏꜰ ᴛᴇᴀᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴇᴅᴅʟɪɴɢ ᴍᴇʟᴜꜱɪɴᴇꜱ | ᴡʀɪᴏᴛʜᴇꜱʟᴇʏ🍋

As soon as the suture needle so much as touched the man sitting before you, he was already flinching away.

"That hurts!" He cried, "please, doctor, be gentle with me."

It was almost laughable, really. Monsieur Phillip was a hardened criminal, or so you'd been told. He was a career criminal, you remembered the Duke remarking, and he'd been sentenced to serve time in the Fortress of Meropide for a myriad of things, such as assault, and even attempted murder, but here he was, a hulking mass of a man, whimpering in pain at the slightest prick of a needle.

"Hush," you said, tutting gently, "the quicker I start, the quicker it's over. Now hold still."

He flinched back again, eyeing the needle like it was out to get him. "Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

You raised an eyebrow. "Please try and relax. I can assure you, I did go to medical school."

Before he could say anything else, you made the first stitch, carefully, but quickly enough so as not to cause him too much pain. Even with the numbing gel you'd applied, it seemed that the patient's pain threshold was quite low. It usually removed enough sensation that any leftover pain would be no more than a pinch, but even with that, you could see tears beading at his lash line.

A hardened criminal, indeed.

You finished the sutures quickly before bandaging the injured shoulder and giving Phillip some care instructions.

"And," you said, "no more getting into altercations about work times, okay?"

Phillip sighed, casting his eyes away from you.

"Yes, ma'am."

You smiled, kindly. "That's doctor to you."

It wasn't wholly unexpected. Men tended to have lower pain tolerances than women did. You'd given stitches to many people before, and when it came to whining, the men tended to be the most common offenders.

After Phillip left, you checked up on a woman who was resting in one of the infirmary beds, and after taking her temperature and walking away with your clipboard, you nearly tripped over Siegwinne, who had somehow snuck into your path without you noticing.

"Archons," you exclaimed, a hand flying over your heart, "I need to put a bell on you."

Siegwinne ignored your remark. "May I see the patient's chart?"

You handed it to her. "The patient shows signs of improvement. Her fever has broken, and her delirium has started to clear up. She should make a full recovery."

Siegwinne hummed meaningfully. "Very good. I was worried about that one. I am glad to hear she is healing well."

You nodded, then turned, starting towards your desk, but before you could make it, Siegwinne called your name, making you pause.

"Yes?"

Her expression remained impassive, eyes curious, unsuspecting, and she tucked the clipboard under her arm as she closed the distance between you.

"Have you seen the Duke today?"

There it was. You didn't know what you'd been expecting aside from this. Ever since Siegwinne had caught onto the fact that you'd developed a crush on the Duke, she'd tried to do everything in her power to set you up with him. In the beginning, that was all it was. A crush. It was a crush in the same way one would develop an infatuation with a colleague or schoolmate, based on their appearance or the limited positive interactions they had with them. It was no secret that Wriothesley was an attractive man. He was tall, and handsome, anyone with eyes could see that. You'd heard the whispers among female inmates and guards alike. You were not unique in feeling some form of attraction to him.