ʙᴇʏᴏɴᴅ ᴘʀᴏꜰᴇꜱꜱɪᴏɴᴀʟɪꜱᴍ | ᴢʜᴏɴɢʟɪ ☁️ 1/2

You were snapped from your mid-morning doze by the sound of a file landing on your desk. You jolted up in your seat, trying your best to stay alert, but your disheveled hair was giving you away and you knew it. You'd pulled another late night all thanks to a certain eccentric funeral director, and said director was the one standing on the other side of your desk, her face split in half with a frankly alarming Cheshire grin.

That was never a good sigh, not with Hu Tao.

"Director," you said, stifling a yawn, "what's this?"

Hu Tao jabbed her finger at the manilla folder, her grin remaining wide and getting impossibly wider. "Read it."

You blinked at her, putting a hand out to stop her as she was beginning to lean towards you, then plucking the folder from the desktop and opening it. You shot Hu Tao an uneasy glance before focusing your attention on the contents of the folder.

It was a letter of promotion. There, clear as day, it said just that. You were being reassigned from your desk job to the secretary and personal assistant to...

Oh no.

Hu Tao's grin dropped to a less frightening smile. "Don't you love it? Are you excited?"

"Uh," you said, "that's— well— Uh, the pay is better there."

Hu Tao groaned, her smile dropping completely. "That's all? That's seriously all you're going to say? After I've done you this tremendous favor?"

You pinched the bridge of your nose. "Director, you know this is a terrible idea."

"Au contrare, (Y/N), it's an excellent idea. Your time draws near as all our times do, and I see the way you look at him. Plus, I think your talents are better suited to this position. Zhongli could use the extra hand with Meng on leave, and you're more than capable. I didn't do this to play matchmaker— okay, maybe I did, just a little— but that's beside the point—"

"No, it absolutely isn't," you interjected, "this is unprofessional. You gave me a new position to set me up with someone."

Hu Tao shook her head. "No, I was considering giving you the position even before you told me about how you felt, so that's a moot point. This is just an added bonus. Have some fun before you inevitably become one of my clients. Really, I promise you that I'm giving you this position because I think you earned it."

You sighed. "Okay, okay. I'll humor you. The pay is better, and Archons know I need the mora. But, Director, you know how I get around him. It's like I'm possessed."

Hu Tao considered this, her hands lacing together in front of her chest.

"Nah, not possession, that's way different. Way more drooling." She gave a little shudder, "far too much drooling. But that isn't my point. Everyone gets tongue-tied, (Y/N), especially around the person they like. The most you'll be doing is getting tea, helping with undertaking, and helping set up memorial services. You already know how to do those things, so it shoused be a piece of cake for you."

"Piece of cake," you parroted, "I've got this."

Hu Tao's alarming grin was back. "Yeah, you do, that's the spirit!"

You gave her a grin of your own, but it was halfhearted and nervous. "So, when do I start?"

Hu Tao's expression grew sheepish. "Uh. That's the thing. You start now."

Your eyes went to the size of saucers, bolting up from your desk. "What!?"

"Don't worry," Hu Tao said, pressing a hand to her chest, "I'll be your wingwoman. Also I'm required to oversee your first day."