ꜰɪᴇʟᴅ ʀᴇꜱᴇᴀʀᴄʜ | ᴀʟʙᴇᴅᴏ 1/2 ☁️

There was no cold like this in Liyue.

Sure, you had winters where you were from. You couldn't say you were completely inexperienced in terms of cold weather. But this was something else. The cold was biting, like it seeped through your very bones, and you had no words to describe how stupid you'd been to think cutting through Dragonspine was a good idea.

You'd initially wanted to take just a shortcut, taking the mountain path that branched off from the ruins of Mingyun village and off to the edge of the Sal Terrae, where you'd cut across and glide into the Windwail Highlands.

But things didn't go according to plan.

The snowstorm made certain of that. You made camp when it hit after finding a cave, knowing it was futile to try and navigate the path in a white out blizzard, but when the storm cleared, you woke to find your map gone. Your vision wasn't much help, as it was Dendro, and the plants you were able to make grow offered little in terms of food. But the point stood that you were now lost in a landscape even seasoned adventures struggled with.

And you decidedly weren't an adventurer. Survival, while you were able to manage in a pinch, wasn't exactly your area of expertise. The sword on your back indicated that you had some combat skill, but that was lacking. What you were was an alchemist. It was one of the reasons you'd decided to come to Mondstadt. You'd heard tales of an alchemist working for the Knights of Favonius who was heralded as a genius, and you wanted to learn from him. That would be impossible, however, if you froze to death.

You followed what paths you could find in the snowy landscape, managing to avoid most major scuffles, though you did have to dispatch a few hilichurls. It alarmed you to see Fatui Skirmishers along the trails, and you somehow managed to avoid them.

It was when you ran into the Lawachurl that you made an error. You were also decidedly too high in the mountain for your liking, and the air kept getting thinner, making it hard to breathe, and despite the many layers you were wearing, you still felt like you were dizzy with cold. You were shivering and tired, and when you approached the plateau the Lawachurl was resting on, you promptly tripped, face planting into the snow. You had no idea where you were in the slightest, but that was the least of your worries when a massive monster was advancing on you.

You were far too exhausted to fight, so you decided to choose option two: run.

Unfortunately, the pathway you chose dropped off, sending you tumbling down to the snow banks, landing painfully on your ankle. Fortunately, the Lawachurl seemed to loose interest after your tumble, but you now had snow in your clothing, and you had to stumble towards the nearest brazier to warm yourself. You were shivering, terrified, your stomach was clawing at itself in hunger, and from the way pain prickled along your ankle, you figured you were now injured more than you initially were.

You couldn't cry, the tears would freeze, so you furiously blinked back the wave of frustrated tears that pooled in your eyes as you limped farther down the path.  You didn't have time to stop and assess the damage, and the boots you were wearing more than likely helped mitigate your injury, but if your ankle wasn't broken, it was sprained, and badly. You could feel the area tightening, a clear indicator of swelling.

Still running on adrenaline, you were able to walk a little while longer before you needed to stop as pain overwhelmed your senses, and your steps became uneven and lurching. You needed help. Badly. You could feel that your hair was sticky with blood on one side from when you'd fallen, and you had no idea how bad the bump to the head was, or if it was just a cut, but you'd need to staunch the bleeding.

Then, you saw light through the gales of falling snow. It was stronger than the glow the braziers that dotted the mountainside gave off, and you stumbled towards it, desperate to find someone to help you.