ꜰɪᴇʟᴅ ʀᴇꜱᴇᴀʀᴄʜ | ᴀʟʙᴇᴅᴏ 2/2 🍋

The wind bit at your face as you knelt in the snow.

Your hands were gloved, but speckled with dirt as you used a trowel to break through the frozen ground, trying to get at the roots of the mint plants in order to repot them. If they were able to survive in the harsh conditions of Dragonspine, you'd be able to use them for all sorts of remedies. With a grunt of effort, you managed to uproot one without breaking any of the tendrils of roots, depositing it in a pot on the trolly you'd brought with you.

Quickly and carefully, you packed the fresh dirt from the bottom of the mountain around the plant.

That marks six.

You figured that should be enough for a sizable batch, plus a little more to experiment with. With a sense of accomplishment, you set off back down the trail to camp.

This was your life now. Under the furred cloak you were wearing was a gleaming crest emblazoned on the dress you wore, the one Albedo had given you that handful of months ago. It signified your status as a Knight of Favonius, even if it was in title only, since you were an alchemist on the Investigation Team. You'd quickly become the person citizens of Mondstadt came to for treatments, salves, and remedies, and you found yourself working alongside Barbara quite often.

The two of you had grown quite close, and she'd bought remedies from you to use on her own patients a few times. Even though your stint in Mondstadt was so far a short one, you were already making a difference, and you were able to live comfortably and happily.

And to top it all off, you were making enough money that you could send a generous amount of Mora back to Liyue for your family every few weeks.

But, as cliche as it was, you had a small problem. One that Sucrose and Barbara wouldn't stop giving you knowing looks about whenever the subject in question was brought up. Said subject came in the form of a certain blonde alchemist who just happened to be your commanding officer.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he'd saved your life and nursed you back to health. Maybe it was the way his eyes glimmered when he found something he though was utterly fascinating. You weren't entirely sure. You were an alchemist, and feelings like this, while not unheard of, were still pretty new to you. You were used to throwing yourself into your work and not having much time to develop feelings for someone, but Albedo was different for some reason. Maybe it was the fact that you often ran experiments together, and as a result, spent a lot of time in the same space.

Dragonspine was a peaceful place to run experiments, and there was ample things to find and manipulate for your next project. It was a treasure trove of discovery, and you'd found all sorts of new raw materials on the mountainside. With Albedo's guidance, you were now able to traverse the mountain easily, and you found that you enjoyed the quiet peace of the snow covered landscape.

He made your heart beat fast, and when you came to Barbara, thinking you were sick, she'd started laughing.

"Oh, ____," she'd laughed, smoothing your hair back, "you're not sick. You've just got a crush!"

It wasn't like you'd never had a crush on anyone before. You'd had plenty in your school days, though none of them made you feel like this. Besides your research, Albedo consumed most of your waking thoughts. Barbara and Sucrose called it normal, but you called it distracting. Because this 'little crush' wasn't going away, no matter how hard you tried to ignore it.

You arrived back at the camp, shaking yourself from your thoughts as you approached your work station, shrugging off your cloak and setting it on a chair as you entered the warm space. You took note of your stock of herbs, as well as the various piles you had set up to make more remedies. You removed your gloves, and as you were going through your inventory, Albedo approached without you noticing, knocking you from your thoughts.