ɪɴᴛʀɪɢᴜᴇ | ᴛᴀʀᴛᴀɢʟɪᴀ ☁️ 1/2

The Fatui barracks were cold.

Of course, this wasn't much of a surprise, you were in Snezhnaya, after all. The cold was something most commonly associated with the country. But still, for a military force so revered, with technology they touted as so advanced, you'd expect them to have some kind of heating system.

You were warm enough, the harsh climate was more than taken into account and soldiers were given goose down blankets to keep warm, but you could barely stick so much as a finger out from beneath the covers without feeling like you were on the verge of frostbite.

As a Snezhnayan, you should be used to this. And really, you were. Maybe it was the unfamiliarity of your new surroundings that was getting to you, or maybe it was the more than inevitable thrashing you'd get in combat training in the morning. You were among eight or nine other female recruits. You'd counted at least fourteen male recruits.

Sure, you could fight, you were adept with hand-to-hand combat, you even had a vision to boot. You could thank an avalanche while you were out hunting for that. The Pyro Archon had been gracious to you, and you found yourself cracking a rueful smile at the fact that you'd been rewarded a vision by the Archon who commanded the element exactly opposite of Her Majesty the Tsaritsa.

Well, c'est la vie. Put your talents to good use, they all said, and you were packed up and shipped here without any room to get your own opinion in or to grow familiar with your newly acquired vision.

You wrapped your comforter around your body, pulling it up around your head like a hood and curling in close, hoping sleep would come. You still had a good while before the sun rose, and if you were going to survive combat training, you'd need to be rested.

After what felt like a millennia of tossing and turning, you fell into a dreamless sleep.

"Up! Everyone up! Do not keep Lord Harbinger waiting."

You were jolted awake when the sun was barely filtering through the high barrack windows, and you groaned as you turned over in bed, rubbing the sleep from your eyes.

Come on. Get out of bed.

"You," came the officer's voice, "up. Now. Are you deaf, girl, or just stupid? The Lord Harbinger does not like to be kept waiting."

You sat up in bed quickly, climbing down the ladder that led to your bunk, and brushing past the officer with a quiet, respectful 'yes ma'am.'

After wrestling yourself into your coat and boots, you pulled your hood up and crossed the yard to the locker rooms with your fellow recruits. There was a snowstorm brewing, you cloud smell it in the air, but you knew if you couldn't train outdoors, indoor facilities were available.

You were Snezhnayan. You adapted.

The women's locker room was milling with other women in various states of undress, and you hustled in with the stragglers, finding your name printed on a card in neat font and pasted to one of the lockers. You opened it, finding a uniform inside.