Breaking Down

~Notes~

I am deeply sorry for any harm that the previous chapter may have caused (I'm really not Steve deserved that tbh) but just so you know it only gets better from now on!! Also I am so so sorry if I've used the stereotypical twink-Connor throughout any of this because that is really not the impression I wanted from his character :( Short part tonight to kinda make up for last night's. Anyways, hope you enjoy!!!

Connor McKinley's POV

I can't sleep... again...

One more day until me and Kevin will be miles apart from one another. Maybe he'll find somebody else, a better girlfriend or boyfriend instead of old Connor McKinley. I mean, Kevin could basically have pick over whoever he wants with his dashing hair and almost perfect personality - but out of all of those people he's chosen me

It's weird to think. There's over eight billion people on this planet and he's chosen me. There's eight billion people on this planet and he is the Mormon who I got sent on a mission with, he's the man who I've been destined to fall in love with.

I stare at the wooden slats of the bunk above me. There's writing on them from previous kids who have slept in this cabin. There were a few rude drawings, a few initials in a love hearts (some which have now been scribbled out), a few 'I HAVE BEEN HERE!!!'s, but nothing interesting.

I hear Arnold's snoring from the bunk opposite me. That's the only thing I won't miss about leaving this place.

It was bad in Uganda when I was down the corridor from him, he'd managed to rattle the whole hut, for the Lord's sake.

Sniff.

I suddenly realise that I may not be the only one awake.

Sigh.

I turn to face where the noise is coming from. 

It's Kevin.

I lay there on my side and watch him for a while. It feels like eternity. 

Kevin lets out another small sob before turning to face me. He hadn't realised I had been there. We make eye contact.

"Do you need some more pain meds?" I ask as I sit up and reach for the foot of my bed. The doctor had given me a packet of strong paracetamol for Kevin to take in case the pain comes back. 

He shakes his head as he wipes his tears with the corner of his duvet. 

"Do you.... want a hug?" I ask. Kevin nods, his face still submerged in the pillow. 

Slowly, I leave my bed and sit on the edge of Kevin's bed. He pulls me closer so that my arms are wrapped around him. I smell the hairspray in his hair, mixed with blood and a faint earth. He continues to cry softly as I plant a small kiss on the top of his head.

We lay there for a while. It feels like an eternity.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask. I suddenly get flashbacks of that night in Uganda.

He stifles a laugh. He must've remembered too. 

"I just... It's too far... Away from you an-and I don't want to be away from you, Con." He explains as he begins to cry again.

"I don't want to do that either.." I say thoughtfully, trying to sympathise with the boy.

"What if.. what i-if we just leave it all.."

"What?"

"Leave this place behind and move somewhere, together, where we can just be... us..." Kevin says as he sits up. I sit opposite him on the bed.

"B-but that's crazy! I mean, where would be get all of the money?"

"I mean... I may have a pretty large sum of money in my bank account...."

"From where? Oh Kevin, please don't tell me your a French prostitute," I joke as he chuckles.

"Nope. I had a small share in a soap business when I was around fourteen. It was a dare originally but it actually got pretty big and I made a very big amount of money,"

It was almost unbelievable. Me and Kevin. Together for eternity. 

"I mean we're adults now! It's not like our parents can stop us from leaving! And we can always come and visit them," Kevin continues. This might actually work. "But if you don't want to do it, you don't have too. Like honestly, Con, I'll still love you either way-"

"I'll do it." I say as he makes eye contact with me. "Yeah, it'll be hard but at least I'll be near to some decent theatre universities up there!" 

"And your, like, sure about this? I don't want to be pressuring you into doing anything that you don't want to do-"

"I'm two million percent sure Kev." I say as I take his hands in mine. "Now c'mere."