Chapter 18 - Welcome To My Nightmare (Alice Cooper)

DARYL

Is this déjà vu or what! Maybe, I'll finally get my chance to serve her breakfast in bed?

Now that I'm showered and dressed, I creep past the sofa then into the kitchen. Open the fridge. Grab some eggs and stuff that Nate brought with her from home. 

And start makin a huge mess.

"Yer gonna get there one day, Dixon"  My sigh is one of resignation when I hear more water gurgling down the bathroom drain.

Ten minutes later, Nate's arms wrapped themselves around my waist. And her voice purred into my ear before she nibbled it.

"Nom!  There's only one thing more delish than watching my redneck lover boy make breakfast."

"Watchin him do the dishes afterwards?"  I almost drop the omelette I'm tossin when she gives my crotch a loving squeeze.

"Ok, make that two things then. But eating  my redneck lover boy for breakfast will always be tops. Where's the ratbag, Babe?"

Yeah, us men might think  we're the ones wearin the pants? But our women will always control the zipper!  😜

"Still sleepin"  And his horny ol' letch of a Dad is prayin he'll stay that way until his Momma finishes what she's started.

"No....he's not"  Nate stiffened and her hands abruptly ceased their rummaging through my boxers.

I flick the cooker off, hold a finger to my lips and lead her back into the lounge. Carefully tug his bedclothes up to show....

My heart skips a few beats. Cos the lump under em, that I thought was him? Is actually his pillow.

"Maybe Alfie heard yer showerin too. Can he climb up them stairs yet?"  I yell out his name while she starts racing towards the laundry instead.

"He might think we're playing hide and seek if we keep calling him. Muttley will find Poo-Bear far quicker than we ever will."

Yeah, good point.

"DARYL!"

The old ticker seizes up completely....when Nate let rip with a blood-curdling scream  😧

NATE

"Oh Jeezus....no. Nononono!"  Daryl spluttered out in dread-filled realisation, as he skidded to a halt beside me on the patio.

He then swore and raced back inside. Because someone started hollering and pounding on our front door.

I stay on my knees and keep peeling the masking tape from his paws.

He's been hog-tied with his muzzle tightly bound as well. The top of his poor little head is caked with drying blood where they must've knocked him out.

To stop him from....barking?

"I'm sorry, baby....I'm so sorry"  My whimpers and his haven't stopped, but it's not just Muttles I'm apologising to.

You saw her for what she really is, Nate. And she knew it. Alfie is retribution for you almost exposing her. It's on you. Because you didn't watch your ass....or protect his!

The sickening truth slices my heart wide open  😨

Michonne's yells rose in volume. Jorge, Frankie, Scott, Daryl....everyone was screeching.

"Is Judith here? Their house is empty. The kids, we can't find any of them. JUDITH....WHERE ARE YOU?"

"....couldn't let Gracie go, not with her tummy bug. She's home, safe with Aaron...."