Chapter 10 - Pain (Three Days Grace)

DARYL

Ain't got nuthin much to say.

So, if yers are expecting me to do feelins? Then fuck the hell off!

Yer gotta have em in the first place before yer can actually do  em.

And don't yers try messin with my head either. Cos the best of the best has already done a good enough job of that a long time ago.

Pain ain't  a feelin, no matter what anyone says. It's a constant, a way of life.

My way....my life!

I eat, piss, shit and sleep like I'm dead. Then when I wake? I go look for him.

He's out here, I know it. Can't share in Nate's naïve belief that he's still alive.

Ok, so maybe he did end up survivin the explosion? He wouldn't have lasted very long after that. Not with the injuries he already had, huh!

Pretty sure I've sussed it all out now. How he actually got em in the first place?

When I left the campsite, after pickin up the last of the supplies Nate left for me? I rode past the spot again. The one where I reckon the herds went and joined up to form a horde.

Finally noticed the rebar. Stickin out of the concrete rubble alongside the road.

Dried pools of blood were all dusted over, yet still visible....just. Along with some shreds of material.

His shirt?

Somethin went wrong right here, I'm guessing. And he somehow ended up skewered on it. Like a kebab.

How he survived that, got hisself free? To eventually lead the walkers almost a mile down the road....then onto the bridge?

Fuck only knows.

Gotta keep lookin. Have to bring Rick home myself. Owe it, not only to him but to Michonne and Judith as well.

It's what yer do for family. Yer find em and yer bring em home. Nate did it for Merle. Now I need to do the same for my other brother.

The second I rode through them gates at Hilltop? Knew for sure I couldn't stay. Never should've gone there in the first place.

But the need to see for myself that Nate and Alfie were Ok was shreddin me all up inside.

They were....Ok that is. Nate? Not so much, I'll admit. But at least she's safe.

Soon as I woke though, the almighty black hole I've been barely surviving in....began to swallow me up whole again.

Reckon that's why I made her promise?

Hurt Nate bad. Near on broke her heart....I know that!  But I wasn't gonna back down. Cos then she'll be in real  danger.

From me.

She did so good, huh? Sendin me away again. It's the only thing she could  possibly do, and we both knew it.

Love her, love Alfie. Miss em somethin awful bad.

But at least they're Ok. And safe still.

Again....from me!

JEEZUS!

ARE YERS ALL FUCKIN DEAF OR SOMETHIN?

TOLD YERS....I AIN'T DOIN FUCKIN FEELINGS!

SO GIT THE FUCK AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE.

NOW DAMMIT!!!!