Chapter 2 - I Don't Wanna Be (Gavin DeGraw)

DARYL

It were dark when we finally arrive back at the factory.

Kick the stand on my bike. First major run on it since I did the bio-conversion, and it went well. Rosita gave Nate's quad a good tryout today too. Trackin the largest herds and keeping us updated via our walkies.

Luckily, she did. Otherwise, we'd never have known about the destroyed bridge. Have to backtrack even more  miles.

"Rick Grimes is here!"

Can hear the chatter as I stalk through the main floor. Some are lauding Rick while damning Negan. Most of the Saviors are just lookin on, sullen and silent.

"Hello. All was well in your absence. Other than a certain cabal slinging me some serious stink-eye. I've...."

"Yeah, thanks. But look....not now man. Later, Ok?"  I just want to make tracks, check on Nate and Alfie then chow down.

"I just had a look at the supplies. You've brought back a pretty good haul, Daryl. You should let everybody know"  Laura suggested, fallin into step beside me.

"Ain't gettin up on no damn stage and giving a speech just like him"  I spit out, seeing her shrink back some.

"Sorry about that. Real bad timing. We just lost someone out there"  Lowered my voice in apology and she nods back in sad understanding.

"Daryl! Does this happen often?"  Michonne gasped, pointin to the fresh graffiti on the wall.

Saviors save us.

We are STILL NEGAN!

"More and more since the crops have been dyin."

Neither Jerry nor Eugene can shed any light on who the culprits are. Have my suspicions and make one of em clean it up.

Justin gives me the attitude I'm gettin way too used to lately. So I snarl right back at him with some of my own.

Then I watch as Rick gets up on his soapbox like some sort of conquering hero. Can feel the gorge rise in my throat....déjà vu alright.

"Bless you, Rick Grimes. Thank you"  Alcee shook his hand as applause starts.

He's my brother and I love him like one. Only right now? I just want to....

Rick turned and glimpses my 'not so'  poker face. He seems embarrassed....then confused almost?

Was then I knew. Acknowledge it's way past time.

I'm fucking done.

*

"Daryl....where's the rest? I only saw twenty or so out there. That's maybe a third of the people who were here last time"  Rick asked, followin me to my quarters.

"Gone"  I answer shortly.

"GONE WHERE? I told you no one was to leave!  You should've raised the alarm. We gotta go round them up, get them back."

"We got no right forcin em to stay. This ain't their fucking prison, Rick! Most of em didn't wanna be here with Negan in the first place. He didn't give em a choice either."

"So me and Nate did!  The workers who remain? They're entrenched, too scared to try again elsewhere with the others now."

"And exactly where is this 'elsewhere', Daryl?"  He growled.

"Hilltop, the Kingdom....Oceanside took in a few families about six months back."

"THEY WHAT....HOW?"  Well, that sure gets his attention....finally.