Chapter 9: Old Man's Tales

Theo

   Once again I found myself sitting outside, my mind far too cloudy to allow sleep to settle in. Turning the Juul between my fingers, I stared up at her bedroom window, my heart heavy with regret. Starting the week strong last Sunday, we ended the night without a word shared, despite her efforts.

   I was a jerk. My anger with her disappeared the moment I left the building, in dry clothes to find her waiting outside in the cold, shivering in wet clothes. At that moment, something became very clear. I was a jerk. She was right there, but I couldn't even face her long enough to apologize for the shit I pulled. My frustration had found a new target and I realized then I would always disappoint her.

Taking in another deep puff, I blew it out, the fruity scent overwhelming my senses as I spun from the feeling.

I was a damn coward. Why else would I run away with my tail between my legs?

I chuckled at the irony of that expression and inhaled another lung-full.

"Can't sleep?"

"Jesus, fuck..." I jolted in my chair, my eyes wide open as I turned to see my father in the doorway.

   With a sigh, I turned back around, planning to avoid a conversation and regulate my heartbeat. He had different plans, however. Turning on the yard lights, I groaned and squinted at the unexpected brightness.

"Sorry, should've warned you," he said with a chuckle as he invited himself to the table, Dad turned the chair around and sat with his chest pressed against the back. He gave me a rueful smile and I visibly twitched under his gaze. After a few more seconds of that, I was ready to crack.

"What?" I said, now irritated.

Dad shrugged innocently, "Just enjoying the fresh air. I've watched you come out here a couple of times so I thought I'd join you, and see for myself what those late-night smoke breaks are all about."

I nodded and looked away, accepting I was busted.

"Does Mom know?" I asked after a minute of silence, staring at the Juul in my hand, knowing how she felt about smoking of any kind.

Dad stretched, "Well, what do you think, son?" he said with a huff.

   That meant she didn't. Mom wasn't good at playing the long game. If something was bothering her, you better believe she will let you know right away.

"And... uhm... Are you... gonna tell her?" I hesitated to ask.

   When he didn't answer, I finally looked up. He was eyeing me with piqued interest as if I'd played right into his hand. When he spoke again, I found out why.

"Are you gonna tell me what's going on between you and Delilah?" Dad countered and I blew out a breath.

"Nothing's going on," I said and he was already shaking his head.

"Theo, this week, you made Tyreek drive twenty miles out here to get you when he lives down the street from your school. She was more than willing to give you a ride but you chose your friend, who lives the furthest from you, to get you there. Either you're completely ignorant of gas prices nowadays, or something happened that you haven't bothered to tell me," Dad said in that know-it-all tone of his.

I gritted my teeth to keep from rolling my eyes. I hated when he sounded so sanctimonious as if he had even a clue of how I felt.

I shrugged, "Yeah well, he doesn't mind. Plus, we haven't hung out in months. We're just trying to make up for it."