Chapter 5: A Hero's Return

Theo

   Thanks to Delilah's stellar planning, we beat the first-day rush. By the time we arrived, the parking lot was relatively empty. By then, I was sweating bullets, trying to seem calm and collected while my heart pounded against my ribcage. A bittersweet feeling came over me when I glanced at my favorite spot. It would never be mine again. Even if I had a car, it was way too far to be wheelchair friendly.

   Within the next hour, students had begun pouring in. I sat in the cafeteria, drowning out the squeals of excited the freshmen girls sitting at the table to my right, when someone nudged me on the shoulder. I looked up to see Coach Birdie. Instantly, I smiled as I ripped off my earbuds, readying myself for a hug.

"Coach B.! What are you doing here, old man!?" I said while padding him on the back.

He groaned in that way only a coach would, that primitive roar only louder during basketball games.

"I was just walking around looking for you. Come on, I need to talk to you," he rambled on, going behind me and before I could even protest, I jolted forward.

"Wow, hold on," I said when he kept trying to push.

Shaking my head, I released the brakes, "Now we're good," I said and he successfully pushed me out of the cafeteria.

"I thought you were retiring after that hip thing," I said as he pushed me through the familiar halls.

"No chance in hell. I don't need to run around to coach a team. Besides, somebody needs to keep you kids in check. I'm your counselor now, only work with the team as an assistant coach," he explained, his southern drawl making him sound a lot more serious than he was.

"That's cool," I said simply.

"It is cool," he said and we stopped at what used to be Mr. Shepherd's office, our counselor last year.

"Alright, Theo, here's how it's gonna be," Coach B. said as he pushed me into his office.

Parked in front of his desk, I pulled the breaks up, only now noticing the slight limp in his steps.

"During the assembly, Principal Agnelli was thinking about giving you a welcome home shoutout or something like that. He wanted me to run that by you before we make our decision. What do you think, kid?" he asked, wincing a little as he sat down.

   My jaw tightened as I processed his request. This wouldn't be welcoming back a wounded player after a rough game. My injury was the cause of my bad choices, and everybody knew that. I didn't deserve a hero's return. Instead, I should be used as an example of how one can fuck-up his entire life over one bad decision.

"Theo," Coach B.'s' voice brought me out of my self-condemning monologue.

   Looking back at him, I saw the face of the man who'd encouraged me countless times to keep going even when the odds were against me. His long salt and pepper beard and bushy brows made him look as wise as he was. Coach Birdie was a hard ass, but not in the bullying kind of way. Even though I didn't believe myself worthy of what he was offering, his expecting stare made it clear this wasn't up for negotiation. By now I'd had enough of Dad's sanctimonious speeches. I was in no mood to get my ear pulled because I dared express my shame.

"That'd be great, coach," I said after a long drawn-out pause.

His moustache curved up into a proud smirk and he nodded.

   He left me then, alone in his new office, adorned with the many trophies our team had accumulated over the years under his leadership. Vivid memories of my glory days came rushing back. It wasn't much about the accolades but the knowledge that with hard work, I could get wherever I aimed to be. I must've aimed wrong that night because now I was here, waiting around for the coach to come get me for a celebratory entrance I did not deserve.