Chapter 2: Just Being Neighborly

Lilah

    If the movement in the hallway hadn't already woke me, my mother barging into my room ensured I was fully conscious. Her rose-scented perfume invaded my nostrils, indicating she was all dressed up and ready to go to the store.

"Oh, good! You're awake," I heard her say beside my bed.

I stirred and turned to face her, "Good morning," I yawned and she briefly glanced at me while scribbling away on her notepad.

   Dressed in her usual faded jeans and puffer gillet, the only alteration in her style was the long sleeves, maroon shirt, and her hair that today was wrapped in an olive green scarf. The earthy colors always matched her brown skin so well, and she knew it. My mom wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty. As a botanist, that came with the job.

"I left you some instructions on the counter and the money that goes with it. We're running low on a few things and Daddy and I won't have any spare time to stop by the store today," my mother mumbled, her eyes fixed on what she was writing.

When she finally looked at me, she smiled in acknowledgment before ripping off the task list. "There you go," she said, handing me the yellow sheet of paper.

   I took it and read it over. Immediately, a knot began forming in my throat at the thought of going shopping... alone. That was Abi's responsibility up until she left for nursing school. So that left me, the only other driver's license holder, to run those errands.

"Alright. I'll take care of it," I said reluctantly.

"Good. We'll be home in time for dinner," she said as I got out of bed to kiss her goodbye.

My mother hugged me tightly and I reveled in her embrace.

"Have a good day," I said when we pulled away.

She ran a gentle hand around my face and pushed my bonnet back a bit.

"You too, honey," she said before exiting my bedroom.

   The car honked twice in the driveway and I walked over to the window just in time to see Dad pull out of the driveway with my mother waving at our neighbors before getting in. Mr. Robinson kissed his wife goodbye in the driveway before getting into his truck and driving off. Movement at their kitchen window caught my attention. I took in a deep breath as I noticed him.

   Seated at the dining table, Theo was eating a bowl of cereal. In his bowl what was left was all milk, and I figured he was reaching for the Special K box before it even came into view. You can learn a lot when you watch someone long enough.

Jeez, I sounded like a damn stalker. At this point, maybe I would qualify for that category.

Not to look like the creepy neighbor, I stepped away from the window and started getting ready to tackle the day.

Thankfully, Mom had taken care of breakfast. When I got downstairs, Valery, my fourteen-year-old sister, sat at the breakfast bar with before her a plate of unfinished cheese omelets and sausages.

"Hey," I said and walked over to the fridge.

"Hi," she said and put down her phone.

I poured myself a glass of juice while she dug into her food.

"Any chance you could come grocery shopping with me today?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Can't," she answered between bites, "I got to practice in an hour and Mom said dinner was on me."