Chapter 8: Sinking Deep

Lilah

   When Abi lived with us, she and I would leave for church earlier on Sunday mornings. We'd get there just in time to relax and watch as the yard filled with awaiting attendees before everyone congregated inside the chapel. If it wasn't for her, I would've lost my faith in God a long time ago. For a place that is meant to be holy, the gossip mill ran wild and fast. I learned a long time ago to ignore what everyone else was doing and focus on my own salvation, but today it was hard to not glare at the choir of murmurs and gasps of surprise when the Robensons showed up, Theo in toe.

I squirmed in my seat, annoyed by all the attention fixed on Theo, who sported a frown before he'd even crossed the threshold.

He didn't want to be here. I couldn't blame him.

   Everyone was already settled on a bench but the service had yet to start. When Mrs. Robenson spotted me, she nudged her husband, her gaze fixed on my empty bench. They began to walk towards me. Thankfully, I was sitting by a window in the right corner of the room. Theo wouldn't have to sit in the middle of the aisle where everyone could gawk at him.

"Good morning, Delilah!" Mrs. Robenson said, her voice low but oozing with joy.

"Hello," I said and picked up my Bible so she could sit down.

She wore a knee-length lavender dress and her hair was up in an elegant bun.

Decked in grey pants and a plaid, light blue button-down shirt, Mr. Robenson sat next to her and upon noticing me, smiled and gave me a friendly wave.

"Your parents aren't here?" Mrs. Robenson asked while Theo moved behind the bench to park himself on my right, cornered by the large bay window and the bench.

"Oh, they're always late so I left a ahead," I said and Mrs. Robenson laughed.

"That's a good technic. Maybe that'll get him moving," Mr. Robenson said pointing at his son.

   I turned to look at Theo. He had on black pants and a navy blue, long-sleeved button-up shirt. His hair looked tousled, as if he didn't have much time to get ready. He still looked as handsome as ever.

As the thought came to mind, he turned his head, sending his dad an unamused glare before those deep blue eyes focused on me.

"Hey," he whispered, his eyebrows shooting up as if he was trying to cheer me up with that one word.

"Hi," I said, matching his enthusiasm, which earned me a chuckle.

"By the way, I hope you know he was serious with that threat. So, thanks," he said and my mouth fell open.

"Oh... I-I...," I stammered, unable to formulate a proper apology.

This time, the grin that spread his lips was a mischievous one. I was starting to think he enjoyed watching me squirm.

With an apologetic sigh, I stopped talking when our pastor began to speak.

   For the entire service, I was keenly aware of Theo's presence. Stealing glances whenever I could, I was relieved to see he didn't look as bothered as when he came in. That's why I loved corner seats. It made it so much easier to blend in and go unnoticed. The Robensons too got to enjoy about forty-five minutes of anonymity, until Bernice, our church secretary, pulled Pastor Jacobi aside during worship, pointing our way as she whispered something in his ear.

We were sitting back down when Pastor Jacobi stood at the altar, "Before we move on to our message," he began by saying and his gaze focused on us.

"Brothers and sisters, let us welcome back Patrick and Kristen Robenson and their son Theodore. As you all know, the last year has been especially challenging for this family. We were with them in prayer, but it is a blessing to have them among us in person after so long."