Vol.4: The game begins

Venti POV

What the fuck was happening?

Every moment since I'd left my bed had been full of calls and messages, the murmuring of students filling every corridor despite the time. I mean who's even up at seven on a break?

Still, I can barely believe that Kiyotaka of all people had done this. Maybe he was working with Nagumo? Or at least had a deal with him like I do?

"Did ya hear? Some class D loser is vice president of the student council."

"Yeah I know right? Maybe if it was Kushida or Hirata I'd understand but who else could have done this?"

"How'd you think he did it?"

The voices trailed off as I kept walking, Haruka noticing me before running over.

"Venti what's going on? Kiyotaka joined the student council? But how?" Her rapid fire questions leading me to quieten her for a moment before I answered.

"I have no idea." I murmured, my overly cheerful personality muted as I considered everything I knew. "But I'd like to find Kushida before we discuss this properly."

"Ah fair, yeah she'll probably know something."

We continued to walk down the surprisingly crowded halls of the Sperenza, snippets of conversation filling our ears as we went.

"Do you even know who that is?"

"I mean he's gotta be important surely? Maybe he's really smart?"

"I don't know... I've never heard of him."

A few minutes later we turned down a corner to find Ayanokouji and Kushida talking quietly, whatever dealing they had finishing as we arrived.

His girlfriend looking up at him with a face alot more serious and planning than I was used to, though the words she uttered were such a contrast I barely expected them.

"Do you still want to be my boyfriend?" Her voice alot less uncertain than you'd expect.

I quickly covered Haruka's mouth to stop her from speaking, this was far too important to miss after all, though the smirk on her face as she licked my hand was equally annoying.

I'm supposed to be the annoying one ya know?

"Sure. But it's probably best we get things straight. I know you see this relationship just as I do, and that's fine as long as once your finished with it you don't turn on me. Understand?" His voice a dull feeling, the normally cold and pragmatic words numbed within the monotone speech.

A small nod came from Kushida before her smile brightened and the normally cheerful voice was returned.

"But remember this little experiment is off if you take someone else, part of a plan or otherwise."

With this she began to walk away, me and Haruka moving quickly to avoid being spotted, though a nagging feeling told me Kiyotaka was fully aware of our presence, not that he seemed to care.

The unspoken agreement to not approach either right now lead to us moving towards the café.

Despite her bubbly personality I had the feeling Haruka was falling apart a little, her friends personalities seemingly a facade and the group she'd been in since the start of school seeming to collapse overnight.

If only that wasn't so true.

Ichinose POV

A light smile crossed my face as I relaxed on the chair, the boy in front of me one I'd barely talked to, someone who was effectively a ghost even in class D.