Vol.4: To challenge the gods

Sakayanagi POV

-So? Where'd you want to go? It's a bad idea to keep me waiting y'know?- Her voice slipped into my mind, irritation spiking through me as it did.

The interest she had provided quite quickly leant into frustration as I spent more time around her.

A whole week with her as my only company was so draining...

"You need to be more polite, you neither hold power nor sway over me or anyone else Furina." The usually elegant or condescending tone long since lost to just telling her to be quiet.

If only that worked.

"And to answer you I'm going to see someone."

-Oh? Wait who is it?-

"Zhongli, it's time class A took initiative." A smile creeping onto my face.

-Why can't you just do this?- The question was one I would have asked myself merely a few months ago.

"Fufu, don't you understand? Zhongli is everything I represent and more. The hardest worker could never achieve the growth he's shown. He has a great understanding of people and is incredibly well liked by all of class A and B, not to mention he's the type who doesn't seem to lose such connections even in a challenge. I'd hazard to say he's even better than me in academics and other such fields." A strange amount of pride and warmth filled my voice, I really was happy to have someone on my level.

-Hm, yes he really is impressive isn't he. I recognise his name aswell but I don't quite know where from...-

"You mentioned a nation called 'Liyue' correct? Perhaps it's just similar naming styles to China? The two definitely remind me of eachother." Yes, he couldn't have been from her world otherwise he'd be in someone's head, unless he was controlling them fully but I doubt that's possible unless he's significantly different to Furina...

-Shame we weren't in the island exam y'know, I think it would have been fun.- A sigh escaped me as I wondered the same. Realistically I could have easily just managed the camp and information without leaving it, it's not like there weren't people who'd just stayed around if they were ill...

"It really was unfortunate to miss the very first special exam, so I agree on that front."

We talked offhandedly for a while, after the weeks together we'd grown to be reasonably close so the silence was filled easily, her personality changing a little as she grew invested in the conversation, softer tones coming to light every so often.

As we turned the corner to the main floor of the dorm building I caught the figure of Zhongli sitting in the corner, a cup of tea in his hand as he read.

"You didn't seem the type to read military books." My comment causing him to look up.

"I was curious I suppose, I wanted to know what kind of views people of your country had."

With that he closed the book and stood up, his cup placed to the side having just been emptied and a smile adorning his features.

Our soft footsteps were accompanied by the clicking of my cane as we spoke, his pace naturally matching my own.

"We should probably act after the next exam." His tone moving to an advisory one.

"Yes I agree, though why don't you suggest this one?" A thoughtful look crossing his face as I spoke.

"If we act now we have to focus on that, right now we're on the outskirts and I'd rather use this time to ensure our information on the other classes is correct. Especially with Venti and Ei but partially for class B, I have a bad feeling about Ichinose."