Vol.3: Befriending your insanity

Zhongli POV

I let out a dissapointed sigh as the guards walked past me, dragging the bleeding man away, blood slipping from between my gloved fingers.

Turning, I registered the shaking girl beside me, a small letter grasped in her hand and her clothes slightly askew, though thankfully intact, a small bead of red visible where she'd clearly bitten her lip and a fearful look in her eyes.

I turned to see Sakayanagi beside me, contempt staining her usually calm and smug features.

She turned towards me and nodded, it was extremely lucky she'd pulled me aside to talk, if not we likely would never have seen the poor girl, and I doubt anyone else would have.

Though she still looked distracted, I had to make a note to talk to her, especially if it was important enough that even what we'd just witnessed didn't overshadow her worries.

"T-thank you..." I turned to the side, a timid voice barely audible beside me, before I crouched down, the girl barely glanced into my eyes before calming slightly the desperate breaths stabilising until she finally stood up.

"It's no problem, here." I handed her my phone once I'd unlocked it, it'd be easier to take hers but I wasn't sure how awkward she'd be about me having access to something so private.

"Please add my information to your phone, that way you can get in touch if you're ever in trouble." My voice lowered slightly to appear more gentle, it wasn't exactly complex psychology, but it had been useful when dealing with panicking civilians and the like during the war.

Finally I stood up, the girl bowing slightly in thanks before saying her name, less shaky this time.

"S-sakura Airi, class-D, thank you..." The nervous words causing me and Arisu to do the same.

"Zhongli, class-A, it was no problem."

"Sakayanagi Arisu, class-A, I hope you feel better soon." The usually smug or mocking tone gone from her voice, a gentle and caring sound flowing from between her lips instead.

After the girl left, what appeared to be her teacher following her and making sure she was okay, Arisu finally turned to me.

"I won't say he didn't deserve it, but you were cruel back there." She genuinely didn't sound upset or nervous, just curious.

It had been more of a blur than anything, a rush of anger and adrenaline as the man's feet were swept out from under him, my hand clutching the back of his skull before he even landed and driving him into the concrete, his feeble attempt to hit back resulting in a shattering elbow to his jaw, if this had been the real world, I undoubtedly would have been penalised, regardless of how reasonable it was, I'd possibly even lose some class points, though if that was the case I'd just have to apologise.

I'm sure they'd understand.

"I have experience with people being forced to do things they do not wish for." I responded solemnly, images of Xiao before I'd found him flickering in my mind.

I sighed before turning fully to Arisu.

"You wanted to say something?"

Sakayanagi POV
F̶o̵c̷a̴l̷o̶r̷s̸

I looked around awkwardly before I went to speak up, for once my nerves getting the better of me as the girl I'd grown to know stayed unusually quiet, fear emanating from her and into my mind as she saw the boy before me, and suddenly everything felt a little too overwhelming.

My skin felt itchy, and the coloured contact I'd been forced to buy seemed to sting slightly, my legs shook and I felt bile rise in my throat.

It was barely a second but I was forced to look away, if I was right about my theory then these weren't my own feelings, though that wouldn't mean much if they became a problem.