Chapter 5

Wu Xingxue naturally didn't succeed in leaving.

Firstly, since everyone had reached the city gate, it would be a pity to just leave like this. Secondly, he really had nowhere else to go.

They lingered by the pontoon bridge for a while, and the two disciples carrying swords came over.

Wu Xingxue saw that there was a hibiscus jade-carved peach blossom on the silver sword tassel of each of them, and the waist tag also had the character "flower" engraved on it. He speculated that they were from some "Hua" surname family in Chunfan City. They were responsible for guarding such an important place as the harbor and the city gate, so their status must be high, likely a prominent immortal sect.

"Are you two going into the city?" The two disciples bowed and said, "There have been some troubles nearby these days, so entering and leaving the city is being closely monitored. If we have offended you inadvertently, please forgive us."

They looked at Ning Huaishan and the one-armed man, their expressions cautious. "Are these two... unwell?"

It's no wonder they suspected. As soon as these two came ashore, they fainted and vomited in front of the statue, which was really suspicious.

If it weren't for Wu Xingxue and Xiao Fuxuan, who showed no reaction, these two disciples would have drawn their swords directly.

Ning Huaishan didn't have time to explain. He pinched his fingers, and his fingertips became as sharp as a knife.

Wu Xingxue pressed his hand back and said, "They're seasick."

"Oh..." The sword-carrying disciples glanced at the black tent boat, still somewhat doubtful. "Where are you two from?"

"The Wuduan Seas," Ning Huaishan said, wiping his lips.

"Oh! No wonder. It was windy and thunderous there last night, making it difficult for boats to sail."

This time, the two sword-carrying disciples believed them.

They looked at Xiao Fuxuan several times, but before they could speak, Ning Huaishan interjected, "This is the puppet of the young master of my family...,"

Xiao Fuxuan: "..."

Wu Xingxue thought to himself that with Ning Huaishan's mouth, he could shake out the old secrets of the whole city in just two days.

However, puppets themselves were not rare, and immortal sects also liked to use them. Especially in these chaotic times, it was common for wealthy young masters to bring a few puppets with them for protection, so there was no need to be suspicious.

It's just that this puppet was too outstanding in height, appearance, and temperament. While attracting attention, it also made those two sword-carrying disciples mutter to themselves.

Out of politeness, they didn't stare directly at Xiao Fuxuan to figure him out. But as they left, Wu Xingxue heard them whispering softly.

"Isn't that puppet... familiar? Have we seen it somewhere before?"

"Sss, actually, that Master Cheng also..."

***

In the end, only Wu Xingxue and Xiao Fuxuan entered Chunfan City.

Because there was a huge stone-carved statue added inside Chunfan City, standing right on the official road as soon as they entered the city gate. The bronze platform in front of it was filled with incense, and smoke curled around it. Ning Huaishan and the one-armed man turned green on the spot, waved their hands, and ran away quickly, saying, "City Lord, we'll wait for you in the mountains outside the city."