Chapter 70

As the raven Snow watched intently at the "storage area," a long shadow silently appeared before the Great Sorrow Valley on the line that existed hundreds of years ago.

The man was extremely tall, with broad shoulders and a strong waist.

He was dressed in black clothes and boots, with silver bracelets on his wrists, making him look neat and upright. The hat on his head was pressed very low, covering most of his face, and from a distance, one could only see his thin lips and the clean lines of his chin.

This was none other than Xiao Fuxuan, who had come to investigate.

Previously, the raven Snow had asked him whether, when using a wisp of spiritual consciousness to probe, it would be like a shadow or if it needed to attach to a person.

Normally, it would be the former, as spiritual consciousness is formless and moves with the wind. But Xiao Fuxuan was somewhat special; he could transform.

For example, the man in black clothes right now.

He followed the traces of Doctor Wu and landed in front of the Great Sorrow Valley, looking up with a slight surprise.

This was his first time coming to the Great Sorrow Valley on this line, and for a moment, he couldn't recognize it.

The Great Sorrow Valley was not desolate or decayed, still with some sandstorms, but without the perennially enveloping grey-yellow dust fog.

Even the entrance of the valley could be considered lively.

Xiao Fuxuan took a quick glance and saw inns, taverns, tea houses, and hitching posts for horses. There were horse sheds everywhere, equipped with long troughs, for the caravans to rest.

The horse sheds were half full, and outside the tea houses and taverns, many people sat under the straw canopies, dressed differently, showing how many people traveled through this deep valley daily.

It was a completely different Great Sorrow Valley.

Xiao Fuxuan saw Doctor Wu in the straw canopy of the tea house.

Clearly, he had reached the mouth of the Great Sorrow Valley, and just past the long bridge was his destination, but Doctor Wu was not in a hurry to travel. He sat at a square table, sharing it with a couple.

The couple looked worried, the woman holding a child in her arms, wrapped in a thick coat, even covering the face, as if afraid of catching a cold.

And the man carefully took something out of his bosom.

It was a peace talisman commonly seen in temples, folded into a small piece. He unfolded the talisman paper, revealing a pinch of ash-like powder.

The man poured the powder into the tea bowl in front of him, gesturing towards the child in the woman's arms.

Xiao Fuxuan had seen this practice before; when people suffered from difficult and miscellaneous diseases and didn't know what to do, they would do this—find an efficacious temple and get some incense ash to make talisman water.

Presumably, this couple was doing just that.

The woman hesitated for a moment, bit her lip, and was about to pull the tea bowl towards her, but a hand pressed down on the rim of the bowl.

The hand belonged to none other than Doctor Wu.

He was still wrapped in a thick scarf, covering up to his nose bridge, at first glance looking like a scholar who was afraid of the cold.

Upon hearing the words, Xiao Fuxuan turned his head towards the direction she pointed and saw a temple at the entrance of the Great Sorrow Valley, just like the one that had once enshrined Yun Hai before the deity's statue was removed.