Six: Austin's powerful answer

At night at Ulthar, at the lake where the corruption is festering. Selene holds Austin at knifepoint.

"My death?" Austin wondered.

"Sleigh Beggies are treasures, in that you create an unending supply of magic, but your bodies are very fragile. Just being alive, you relentlessly absorb and generate magic. Eventually, your body will buckle." Selene said.

"You're well-versed in the matter, Selene." Lyra said, mentally.

Selene sneered, her eyes gleaming with malevolence. "Of course, I am, Lyra. I've been studying all types of mages for years."

Austin struggled against her grip, but Selene's hold was too strong. He felt a surge of fear as he realized the true extent of her plans.

"You're going to use me to create an endless supply of magic," he said, his voice shaking with anger and fear.

"Not really, but they keep you alive without taking any measures to help you out of danger, just to satiate their own curiosity." Selene said. "Austin, they have no feelings. You can't expect human kindness from beings that pretend to be human. They bought you with money and tied you down with that thing. It has a tracking spell on it. You must have suffered."

Then suddenly, the pendant around Austin's neck begins to float.

"We'll set you free, the Vampires will keep you safe." Selene asked as the stone of the pendant began to pop. And soon the pendant around Austin's neck bursts.

With that, Austin rushes forward to attack Selene, getting a small cut from Selene's knife. She lets go of Jade, who falls to the ground.

Jade said. "Ngh!"

"Jade, are you all right." Austin asked.

"I live." Jade said.

As Lyra, Jason, and Anakin stand guard in front of Austin.

"This place is our territory. I won't have vampires wandering around here." Lyra said.

"Why? Don't you want to be set free?" Selene said.

"From what? If you mean Jason, you probably wouldn't understand. Even if they were lying, he was the only one to ever call me family. I don't care whether you were lying or telling the truth. He was the first person to value me. So until Jason lets go of my hand... I belong to him." Austin said.

Selene's expression turned cold and calculating, her eyes narrowing as she gazed at Austin. "You're quite the loyal little pet, aren't you?" she sneered. "But you're mistaken if you think Jason truly cares about you. He's just using you for his own purposes, just like the rest of them."

Austin's face set in determination, his voice firm. "I don't care what your motives are, Selene. I know what Jason has done for me, and I won't betray him."

Lyra's expression softened, a hint of pride in her eyes. "Well said, Austin. You're one of us now, and we won't let anyone harm you."

Jason's grip on Austin's hand tightened, a small smile on his face. "We're a family, Austin. And no one messes with our family."

Anakin nodded in agreement, his eyes fixed on Selene. "Leave now, Selene. You're not welcome here."

Selene's face twisted in anger, but she knew she was outnumbered. With a snarl, she vanished into the night, leaving the group to breathe a collective sigh of relief.

Just then, the corruption begins to expand.

"Its bonds are coming loose." Lyra said. "Do the cleansing now."