Two weeks had passed since Letizia visited, and in that time, I had been avoiding him at all costs. I ignored his calls, messages, and even went as far as asking my parents to turn him away whenever he showed up at the house. Even at the bakery, I made sure to keep busy, either attending to sitting customers or stayed inside the kitchen.

I knew I was being unfair, shutting him out without giving him a chance to explain himself. But I couldn't bring myself to face him, not when I knew I'd jump into his arms if he begged. Part of me, wounded and wary, couldn't bring myself to believe that this was probably all just a game to him.

Was I just a game to him? Another woman that was willing to open her legs? It was a thought that haunted me.

I stood behind the counter, my hands moving mechanically as I attended to the customers. My mind wandered back to Gabriele, wondering if he would come by today, if he would try to explain himself, or if he had already moved on, finally giving up on trying to get me back.

"Call him if you want," Laura called out from beside me. "Your neck might snap if you turn it to the door next time."

"I'm not—"

"Your eyes are glued to the door that you don't even realize what you're doing," she tipped her head to what I had been absentmindedly doing.

I glanced down at my hands, realizing that I had been absentmindedly arranging and rearranging the items on the counter, my mind far away in thoughts of Gabriele.

"I hate men," I sighed.

"You definitely don't hate this one," she giggled.

"I don't. He's different," I bit down on my lip, playing with the cash register. "Or at least, I thought he was."

"Plus, didn't you say he and his sister don't get along," she added. "Did you think she'd act all giddy with you?"

"Yeah, you're right," I acknowledged, a hint of frustration creeping into my tone. "But it's not just about his sister. It's about everything. The way he acted, or rather, didn't act when she was there. It's like he didn't even try to defend me."

She remained silent as I began ranting.

"I can't believe she asked what number I was," I hugged, throwing my hands in the air. "Like it was some sort of roster he was going through."

"Yeah, it's like he didn't even care how her words affected me," I continued, frustration evident in my voice. "And then he just sat there, silent, while she belittled me like that. It's humiliating, Laura. I felt like I was being reduced to just another bed warmer in his eyes."

My hands clenched into fists as I spoke. "And the worst part is, I don't even know if it's true. Am I really just another name on his list? Did he ever truly care about me, or was I just a game to him?"

"And then, when I asked him what number I was, he didn't even deny it!" I exclaimed, my voice rising with indignation. "He just stood there, looking guilty as sin, like he had something to hide."

I paced behind the counter, the frustration and uncertainty swirling inside me threatened to consume me whole. The bakery, usually bustling with customers since the competition, was surprisingly quiet, allowing me the space to rant without prying eyes.

"I can't believe I let myself get caught up with him," I muttered, my voice tinged with frustration as I ran a hand through my hair. "I thought he was different, but maybe I was just fooling myself. He was just there at the perfect time when Caleb—"

Before I could spiral further into self-doubt, Laura finally reached out, gently taking hold of my hands to steady me. "Hey! You had genuine feelings for him, and you took a chance," she interjected firmly, her voice cutting through the chaos in my mind. "That's more than most people can say."