"Is everything okay here?"

Gabriele's deep voice cut through the tension like a soothing balm. I turned to see him standing beside me, his presence immediately calming my frayed nerves. Without hesitation and without looking, his hand found its way to my hips, pulling me gently but firmly flush against him.

Gabriele's protective stance only seemed to infuriate Caleb further. His jaw clenched in frustration, and he glanced between us, a glimmer of anger flashing in his eyes.

"This is none of your business," Caleb spat, reaching out as if to grab me again. But Gabriele smoothly intercepted, effortlessly moving me out of Caleb's reach with a firm but gentle touch.

"I asked," Gabriele repeated, his voice firm and unwavering as he held Caleb's gaze. "Is everything okay here?"

Caleb's face flushed with a mix of anger and humiliation, but he seemed to sense the determination in Gabriele's tone. The reality of the situation was sinking in, and he didn't want to push his luck any further.

Or so I thought.

"Don't you feel sick toying with a twenty-six-year-old?" Caleb's words were laced with bitterness, and the humiliation he felt seemed to fuel his audacity to talk back. He was unwilling to back down without a fight, even in the face of Gabriele's clear unspoken warning.

Gabriele's expression remained calm, but there was a steeliness in his gaze. He responded, "I don't play games, Caleb. And I urge you not to play silly games with your life."

Caleb's bravado faltered slightly, his voice quivering with a mix of defiance and fear as he stepped closer to the towering figure of Gabriele. "Are you threatening me?" He demanded, his tone tinged with uncertainty.

"You're being a nuisance, Caleb," Gabriele stated firmly, his voice carrying a hint of warning.

I stepped forward as much as his hold allowed. I stepped forward as much as his hold allowed, my left hand searching for his free hand. When our fingers intertwined, Gabriele's touch loosened but not enough for me to step away.

Caleb's eyes darted between us, his expression a mixture of frustration and uncertainty. "I don't need your interference," he spat, his voice edged with irritation. "I'm talking with my girl–"

Gabriele remained unfazed, his gaze steady as he addressed Caleb. "Consider it a friendly suggestion."

"And if I don't?"

Gabriele's response was a silent but clear message. Without a word, he stepped forward, gently guiding me behind him as he approached Caleb. With a calm yet authoritative demeanor, he reached out to adjust the collar of Caleb's shirt, a subtle gesture.

Caleb stiffened at Gabriele's touch, his eyes widening in surprise at the unexpected act. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out as Gabriele's actions rendered him momentarily speechless.

Satisfied with his silent communication, Gabriele tucked his free hand into the pocket of his pants, his stance exuding confidence and assurance as he stepped back.

"Assicurati che Julie non veda la tua faccia," Gabriele stated firmly. "Vorrei che si ricordasse di te come di un bel ex fidanzato. Understood?"

Make sure Julie doesn't see your face, I'd like her to remember you as a pretty ex-boyfriend.

Without another word, he turned away from Caleb, leading me away from the confrontation and out of the hall.