The weekend loomed ahead, and the anticipation of spending our anniversary alone without anyone but myself filled the air. In his house, I was helping him pack his belongings, the warmth of familiarity enveloped us, a comforting routine. Caleb moved around the room, folding clothes and gathering essentials.

"Are you sure you're okay with me working this weekend?" Caleb's voice carried a note of concern as he sought reassurance in my gaze.

A smile played on my lips as I nodded, "Of course, Caleb. Your work is important, and I support you. We'll make the most of our time when you're back."

His sigh held a mixture of appreciation and affection, a silent acknowledgement of the understanding we shared. "You're always so supportive, Julie. I'm grateful for you."

As we prepared to leave his house, the air seemed charged with the anticipation of the weekend unfolding. Caleb enveloped me in a warm embrace, and his words lingered against my hair, creating a tender moment of connection. "I'll miss you," he murmured.

"Me too," I replied, pressing a gentle kiss to his left arm.

We left his house, the boxes neatly packed in his car, and drove to my house with the air filled with the comfortable silence of shared moments, the subtle hum of the engine a backdrop to the thoughts that danced in the spaces between us.

At my doorstep, Caleb helped me out of the car, and we stood for a moment. "Call me when you get there," I wrapped my arms around him.

"I will," he assured me, leaning in to press a lingering kiss to my cheek.

Alone in the quietude of my home, with the night settling in, I found myself lost in thought, the events of the past week replaying in my mind like scenes from a movie. The encounters with Gabriele lingered, an unexpected undercurrent in the narrative of my life.

A sudden beep from my phone interrupted my reverie, and I glanced down to see a message from Zoe.

Hey Jules! How's the weekend shaping up? Are there any exciting plans with Caleb?

Quiet weekend at home. Caleb's working.

Zoe's reply came almost instantly.

Working?

Caleb's got work this weekend, so we decided to celebrate it when he comes back.

No. What?

It's not that big of a deal, Z.

Zoe's rapid-fire response echoed the disbelief in her words.

Not a big deal? Jules, it's your anniversary weekend! You can't just let it pass like any other day.

I sighed, feeling the weight of her concern through the digital messages.

We'll celebrate when he's back. It's just work, Zoe. He couldn't help it.

Her next message didn't come, but her call came in, and I rolled my eyes, picking it up. "What do you mean he couldn't help it?"

I hesitated for a moment before answering, "He has some urgent work, Zoe. It's not like he wanted to miss our anniversary weekend," I defended.

There was a pause, and then Zoe's voice, softened, came through. "Whatever, I'm coming over now."

"Alright, Z. I'll be ready," I replied, a smile playing on my lips.