36

Although it was Friday, it felt like the weekend stretched out before me like an endless expanse of uncertainty, each passing moment weighed down by the heavy silence that hung between my parents and me.

Ever since that fateful night when they stumbled upon Gabriele and me in the kitchen, tension had settled over our household like a thick fog, suffocating any attempts at conversation or reconciliation.

I lay in bed, the soft light of dawn filtering through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room. With a heavy sigh, I pushed aside the covers and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. My mother's disapproval still echoed in my ears.

As I made my way to the kitchen, I silently prayed they weren't in the kitchen, at least my mother. The sound of clattering dishes greeted me as I entered the room, my mother bustling about with an air of forced cheerfulness that did little to mask the tension simmering beneath the surface.

"Good morning," she greeted, her tone strained as she avoided my gaze. "I made breakfast."

I offered her a tight-lipped smile, the knot of anxiety tightening in my chest as I took a seat at the table. The silence between us stretched taut, filled with unspoken words and lingering resentment. I knew that sooner or later, we would have to address the elephant in the room, but for now, I focused my attention on the plate of food before me, my appetite diminished by the weight of my emotions.

"How did you sleep?" She asked, her voice carefully neutral as she poured herself a cup of coffee.

"Fine," I replied tersely, avoiding her gaze as I picked at my food.

Another tense silence settled over us, the air thick with unspoken tension as we both struggled to find the words to bridge the growing divide between us. My mother's gaze softened, her eyes filled with a mixture of concern and regret as she reached out to touch my hand.

"Julie," she began, her voice gentle but tinged with sorrow. "I'm sorry for how I reacted the other night. I was caught off guard, and I didn't handle it well."

I swallowed back the lump forming in my throat, my heart aching with the weight of her words. Despite the hurt and disappointment that still lingered, I couldn't deny the flicker of hope that sparked within me at the prospect of reconciliation.

"It's okay," I murmured, my voice barely above a whisper as I met her gaze.

"No, it's not," she stood by the table, opposite where I was sat. "I don't want you ever feeling that I'd choose someone else over you."

"Mhm," I continued picking at my food.

"You're still mad," I glanced up at her, my expression guarded.

"I'm not mad," I insisted, though the bitterness that tinged my tone belied my words. "I'm just..."

"Disappointed?" My mother's shoulders sagged, her expression reflecting the pain mirrored in my own eyes. "I know," she whispered, her voice heavy with regret. "And I also would like to apologize to him. Maybe also get to know him a little bit over dinner?"

A flutter of happiness stirred within me at the unexpected offer of reconciliation from my mother. The thought of Gabriele joining my family for dinner filled me with a giddy excitement, the prospect of bridging the gap between my two worlds bringing a sense of joy that I hadn't felt in far too long.

I tried to hide my smile, the corners of my lips twitching with the effort of suppressing the bubbling enthusiasm that threatened to spill over. "Are you sure?" I asked cautiously, my voice tinged with uncertainty as I met my mother's gaze.

She nodded, a teasing smile gracing her lips. "Of course. I want to meet the man that's making my daughter try to hide her smile even though she's already turning red."