The door chimed, announcing the arrival of the last customer for the night shift. I greeted them with a warm smile as they walked towards the counter, the soft glow of the bakery lights casting a warm ambience.

"Good evening! How can I help you?" I inquired, my voice a gentle melody that harmonised with the serene atmosphere.

The customer, a familiar face from the neighbourhood, returned the smile. "I hope I'm not too late for a cinnamon roll, please."

"Of course not!" I replied, my hands moving with practiced grace to retrieve the coveted cinnamon roll. "That'll be $3.50, please," I informed the customer, the gentle chime of the cash register punctuating the transaction.

They reached into their pockets, retrieving the exact change with a satisfied grin. "Thank you! Your cinnamon rolls are the best in town."

I acknowledged the compliment with a modest nod. As I placed the packed roll on the counter, the customer's eyes sparkled with anticipation. "Thank you."

"Have a wonderful night," I wished, bidding farewell to the last customer. The door chimed softly as they exited, leaving the bakery in hushed tranquilly.

Closing time approached, and as I began the routine of tidying up the counter, Zoe, Laura, and the two other employees stepped out of the changing room, ready to leave.

"Are you almost done?" Laura asked, adjusting the strap of her bag on her shoulder.

"Almost there," I replied, glancing at the clock to confirm the nearing closing time. "You all can head out; I'll finish up here. Thank you for today."

Zoe and the others exchanged weary smiles. With a collective nod, they gathered their belongings and made their way towards the exit.

"See you tomorrow, Julie!" Zoe called out, her voice filled with a mix of exhaustion and camaraderie.

"See you," I echoed, waving them off as they exited the bakery, leaving me to the quietude of the closing rituals.

The remnants of the day's offerings adorned the display. The soft hum of the refrigerators, now the sole soundtrack, accompanied me as I meticulously wiped down the counter, restoring its gleam.

As I moved to the display shelf, taking out the remaining pastries, the door chimed softly once more. I turned to find Gabriele standing at the entrance, a warm smile gracing his lips, making my heart flutter more than it should. A sudden rush of blood ran up my neck as he welcomed himself into the bakery.

"Good evening, Julie," Gabriele greeted with a warm smile, his eyes holding a glint of warmth that I was still trying to get accustomed to.

"Hi," I murmured, my gaze lingering on him as he sat on the stool by the counter.

Feeling butterflies dance their way into my stomach from his presence, I turned around and continued cleaning the display shelf, a subconscious attempt to steady my emotions.

"Long day?" Gabriele inquired, his eyes following my every move.

"Busy, as usual," I replied, attempting to mask the subtle flutters his presence invoked. "How about you? How was your day?"

Gabriele leaned back forward, closing his arms on the counter. "Productive,"

"Aren't you going to tell me about your date?" I asked, pressing my lips into a thin line as I moved away from him towards the coffee machine.

"Date?"

"Avery?" I quickly glanced at him.

Gabriele's expression shifted ever so slightly, a fleeting moment of surprise betraying his otherwise composed demeanour. "Ah, yes. Avery," he said, a thoughtful glint in his eyes.