40 - dancing in the kitchen

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑹𝒊𝒄𝒌

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

MY CAR IS parked on the curb of Jenna's house. I watch Maya walk up the steps to the door and knock. A few minutes later, a lady opens the door and gives Maya a look. They interact for a bit before the lady calls out Jenna's name.

She appears a second later, her expression souring as soon as she lays eyes on Maya. Within a few minutes of her apology, Maya extends the gift we got together this morning. Jenna grabs it, flicks it onto the lawn, and yells at Maya before shutting the door.

Maya's shoulders drop as she trudges down the steps. Suddenly, the door opens, and Jenna calls out to Maya, who looks back, waiting as the girl rushes toward her. She slaps her hard, and my instincts kick in as I get out of the car. Jenna dashes back in as Maya rubs her cheek. "You okay?"

She stares up at me, her eyes welling up with tears. I study her for several seconds before picking up the gift bag and guiding her back to the car."At least you tried," I tell her.

"I wish I could take it all back," she cries, tears streaming down her face.

"You've apologized,"

"It doesn't feel enough,"

"Hey, look at me," I tilt her chin so that she's facing me. " I know things may not be the best with Jenna and that you blame yourself for what happened to her, but it's not your fault. You saw that she was in trouble and helped her. You had no idea that Mr Allen was holding something against her. Things perhaps did not end the way you expected them to, but that's life,"

"You've got the sweetest soul I have ever seen. You always think about others, and you feel too much. You've done what you can, and now it's time to let go and hope for the best, okay?"

She swipes at her eyes and nods.

"Let's go get you a strawberry cake to cheer you up. How about that?"

"I think that baking chocolate chip cookies might do the trick,"

"Alright, cookies it is then,"

She puts on a flimsy smile as I get the car going. When we arrive at her house, I'm sort of relieved Abigail isn't home. It smells like strawberries and sugar when I walk through the front door. Maya opens the windows to let in fresh air and light while I take off my sneakers. I wiggle my toes as they settle onto the wooden floorboards, pulling up my sleeves.

"Are you always this tidy?" I ask, joining her by the island as she takes out the ingredients.

"What do you mean?" she says, sidestepping me to reach for the drawer. The kitchen is a contrast to mine. While mine is spacious there is barely much space to move in this one. But damn, is it spotless. You wouldn't think a teenager lives here.

"What I mean is, you're not messy?"

"I like to keep things clean. Plus, it also means less work for Aunt Abby since she's taking care of me,"

We start with the cookies, her mixing together the wet ingredients in the bowl while I throw in the dry ones in the KitchenAid. She's humming, and it makes me glad to see her not thinking about Jenna anymore. "Play something good," she says. "Something you like,"

"Uh, I don't think classics is something you'll like,"

"Seriously? Is that the only thing you listen to? Nothing that makes you wanna dance?"