45 - oblivion

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑹𝒊𝒄𝒌

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

I TURN ON my blinker as we take a turn, and then I look to my right to see Maya. She's the definition of everything that's good in this world. And she looks beautiful.

It's just like her to wear a strawberry dress, and the red sequins shimmer against the light along with her eyeshadow.

But I also can't help feeling somewhat guilty about lying to her. Brent can't seem to stop reminding me, especially when he couldn't stop giving me looks during the ball. It felt suffocating knowing that at any moment, he could pull Maya away and give her his own unique version of the story.

I just wanted to get out of there and breathe. She's so happy right now, though. How can I tell her? But I have to; she has a right to know. I'll tell her when the time is right.

We park right in front of the convenience store, and the girl quickly gets out. I'm behind her as we get packaged sandwiches and drinks. Then, we sit on the pavement right in front of the store and eat our sandwiches while the bright lights from the overhead lamps shine on us.

We're looking at the sky, which is finally cloudless, so we've got a good view of the stars. She's barefoot, her toenails painted pink, but she shivers a little, and I wrap my coat around her. I roll my sleeves so I don't mess up my shirt while she smears mayo off the side of my mouth. It's just the two of us, our laughter and deep conversation echoing in the night. It couldn't be more perfect.

We head to the same spot where we shared our first kiss and Maya suggests we lie on the roof of my car to get a better view of the sky. One minute, I'm hesitating, and then the next, I'm helping her get up there.

The waves crashing against the rocks are loud as I lie next to her, my hands wrapped around hers as we enjoy the silence for a little while.

"Rick?"

"Hmm?"

"What if your mom is a star?"

"I don't think my mom is a star,"

"Well, I believe it,"

"It's a good way to put it though,"

"You've just gotta put positive things into perspective,"

"Sometimes I wonder how different life would be if I had your brain,"

Then she's laughing, her body shaking right beside mine. I turn, and I'm looking at her.

"Maya, I think I'm about to kiss you on the rooftop of my car, but I'm afraid we might end up falling,"

"Rick, I want you to kiss me on the rooftop of your car because it'll be like something out of a movie, but I'm afraid we might indeed end up falling,"

"What are the chances we end up falling, but we have a cute story to tell our grandkids? Hmm? Grandpa and Grandma shared a kiss right out of a movie. They're legends!"

"I like how you think, but if we fall, what are the chances we might not even end up meeting our future grandkids?"

We stare at each other for a minute before laughing. I give her a small peck on the lips before sliding down the car and helping her down.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑴𝒂𝒚𝒂