35 - mystery of love

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑴𝒂𝒚𝒂

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

NOISE FROM THE mixer barely affects my hearing. I'm lying on the couch with my eyes on the ceiling while Aunt Abby makes me a strawberry smoothie. It's to bandage up my wounded heart, which is throbbing with pain.

When she saw me bolt through the door with tears in my eyes, she left whatever was keeping her busy to hear me out. She encased me in an enormous bear hug, and we sat like that for a while until she got up to make me a smoothie.

"Do you need anything else, hon?" she inquires, settling the glass of strawberry smoothie on the coffee table.

"Thank you, Aunt Abby, but I'd like some alone time if that's okay,"

"Of course," she plants a kiss on my forehead. "I will be in my room if you need anything,"

I take my time slurping the smoothie while I walk back and forth in our small living room. Once I'm finished, I wash the glass and head upstairs to shower. Playing 90s pop music to distract my mind, I dig my fingers into my hair to ensure that all the dirt gets out. The strawberry-scented foam allows me to forget the events of today for just a moment.

The breeze coming from my bedroom window sends goosebumps down my body as I dry off in my room. The salt-scented air relieves my body of the negative energy and makes getting dressed easier. I put on my locket and head outside for more of that salt-scented fresh air.

When I return, Aunt Abby has left a bowl of tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. While staring into space, I eat the scrumptious meal. My bed is a safe haven after dinner, but before I jump into it, I light a scented candle to relax. Once I'm in bed, I lay my head on my pillow and play with my locket. Not soon after, sleep overtakes me.

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑹𝒊𝒄𝒌

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It's dinnertime, and I haven't joined the table, so he'll come knocking at my door soon. Having to sit at the table and listen to Dad's rant about what I'm doing wrong is the last thing I want to do. So I sit at my desk and try to distract my mind with homework.

My argument with Maya has left me in disarray, especially with how my voice came out. She was already upset, and I had to make it worse. She hasn't answered any of my texts, and it's causing turmoil in my mind. Should I even be caring this much about how she's feeling?

The knock comes as expected, and I announce to Noah that I won't join them for dinner today.

"You know, Dad might be hard on you, but he cares. That's why he does it. You're letting your anger get in the way,"

"Honestly, Noah, I don't want to argue about this. I would just like to be left alone,"

"Rick, listen,"

"Finally, you're getting my name right,"

"We've been...I've made some..."

"Is that it? You can leave me alone now,"

Everything goes quiet, and I'm waiting with a berated breath for something more, perhaps even an apology. But it never comes. Instead, I hear his footsteps as he walks away from my door.

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

I want to say that I expected it to make me feel better, but I didn't. Rather, I'm taken aback by the fact that Maya won't talk to me.