Chapter 1: Headquarters

I held the gun to my temple and watched him as tears filled my eyes. "I don't do attachments," I mumbled.

He ran towards me, it seemed like everything was moving in slow motion. Carol punched the shit out of the guy, Caden encouraging her, suddenly, I felt a loud blow on my back. Memories flooded my mind as I looked at him one last time before falling into a deep slumber from which I knew I could never escape.

***

Six months ago, I received a call from the headquarters at midnight for an urgent meeting. Carol and I rushed to the location and found ourselves sitting in front of the person who had trained and guided us into who we were; agents.

Derek is a typical African man who came with nothing but a Martial arts certificate in his twenties. It's been nearly twenty-five years since he established this business and found allies ready to die at his command. That was him.

"Commander Derek, what was the emergency?" I broke the silence.

"Amanda," He paused as he played with the cube in his hands, "Sorry to call at this hour, and I know it was a short break for you guys I permitted but I have a new mission for you both." He gave us a warning look and continued, "You will work in pairs. Amanda, your task is to protect the target, while Carol will assist with the technical work given her expertise." I exchanged a this-will-be-fun look with Carol.

"Your target is Jason Blake, son of a well-known businessman. The opponent is unknown for now, and Mister Soren's son becomes an obvious and easy target." He explained.

It didn't come as a surprise to me when I heard about it, as I've dealt with similar cases during my five years of service. People require security constantly, and our undercover bureau, 'Insiders' assists them in this regard, earning recognition worldwide.

"Does he know that he will be under our guard?" Carol asked curiously.

"No, he doesn't, you have to take care of it." Ha, that's an easy task, no it isn't!

"I will provide you the details later and umm...don't freak out about what I say next..." Carol clutched the seat as I raised an eyebrow at him.

Don't drop a bomb, commander.

"You guys will enroll in the high school he goes to," There was a pin-drop silence as we processed his words, followed by a screeching voice of Carol enough to shatter the glass table, kidding.

"What!"

"Damn it, not so loud." She glared at me to keep my mouth shut as I snorted at her.

The reason was, that we had never been to school, let alone high school, and we never needed one! We were experts in our fields and were found always on-demand.

"You are doing it for the subject, pull the show, no choice!" Derek crossed his arms. "Suck it up." We gasped at him.

"Come on, Derek, show some mercy, can't we keep an eye on him outside school?" I don't want to wake up every day to do some shitty routine, life gets boring!

"Nope." He said popping the 'p', giving the looks of a tough commander we couldn't resist.

"Fine." We said in unison and stood up.

"When are we starting?" I questioned.

"The adjustments are settled you'll start tomorrow." I nodded as we walked to the door that connected the room. "And one more thing," Derek called out. "He is important, don't make the mistake you did in one of your previous cases." I spared one last glance at him and walked out of the office.

"Guy's hot," Carol said as we reached our flat, gawking at her phone as my phone hummed with messages.

"Sure," I said, scrolling through the details Derek had sent us, and the first thing that came to my mind as my eyes settled on his picture was Trouble.