Chapter 43

Becky stared blankly at the ceiling that night. She cant believe she had committed something unacceptable in front of her child. She admitted she lost her cool and pushed Freen harshly. She didn't think about the consequences of her actions and now she's suffering from guilt.

She was crying, sobbing was inaudibly concealed in her pillows. Her face was buried into it as she let the thing absorb her guilt.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! She exclaimed. She keep blaming herself for being too overdramatic and too insensitive. She blame herself for not letting the other woman speak. And now this happened.

"Babe?" Charlotte knock on the other side of the door. Stirring on her bed, Becky fix herself pretending not to cry but the remnants of the tears still left coats on her cheeks." Babe i'm coming in okay?" Becky didn't respond. She is too tired to open her mouth.

After the inquiry, the door opened revealing Char in her pajamas. She has a towel on her head and a lotion in between her fingers. " Babe." She cooed wanting to get answers. But Becky refuses. " Babe I just tuck Finley to bed na." She added. " Don't cry, it's okay. It's gonna be okay." She assured rubbing Becky's back wanting to give her encouragement and understanding.

"I fucked up babe. I'm so fucked up!" Becky whispered lifting her head a little. " I made a mistake. I shouldn't have done that. I should have let her explain."

Charlotte sighed. Becky was right, she was against the fact that Becky exploded but this is not the right time to blame her best friend for it. She came here to comfort the woman, not to rub her the truth. " It's okay baby. I understand. I admit that what you did was unjustifiable but I know you were just carried out by your emotions. It's fine na. It's gonna be fine."

"But I hurt Freen, Lottie! And Fin saw it! She saw me hurting her mother and now she will hate me forever for that! She saw me hurting the piece of her! You don't know how much it hurt when she told me she hate me Cha. It stung my heart! It hurts here!" Becky was weeping a little, but this time her sobs get louder and louder. Her pain heightened as she carry the intensity of her daughter's statement.

"Dont cry anymore. I hate seeing you cry. Don't cry na." Charlotte rub the small figure in her arms letting Becky feel the comfort she needed. Her head rested on Charlotte's chest feeling the other woman's rapid heart beat. " I already explained to Fin what she saw, but you yourself need to talk to her okay? Just give her time. Give her time to analyze her words and assess her emotions. Right now she needed space.  All that we can do today is make her feel safe and comfortable in here."

"What should I do char? How can I amend things with her?" She asked.

"We know how attached Fin is to Freen now Becca. And we can't do anything to stop that, nor pull that invisible string away. You can't force your child not to be attached to the woman. So let her be, be there to guide her and support her. Not to take her away."

Becky was confuse about Charlotte's statement. She find it so hard to unravel each words. " What do you mean?"

Charlotte pause. Lips pursing into a thin line before opening to speak. " Give her a chance Becca. This time set aside your emotions, set aside the grudge, let it be the time for Fin to feel her mother closer. And if it gets any better then you can both talk about your feelings. As adults, as professionals, and as wives."

.......

"Here." Freen handed her the milk tea. They just finished picking Finley and now all three of them are seated on the swing. Fin felt distant to Becca, she was maintaining a safe distance between her mother and her deciding not to touch in any way possible. She was attached on Freen's hips the whole time and Becky's heart clenched at that.