23

The next morning started off as slow as they usually did. Sourav was literally counting down hours left for their departure since the day everything had happened. Due to which he was getting up earlier than everyone. He freshened up and sat down beside his still asleep brother. Rahul was sleeping most hours of the day, either because of the medicines he was taking or the sheer exhaustion of being in so much pain. His iron also was low for whatsoever reason, so Sourav didn't question the abnormal sleeping. Instead savoring the moments when it was just his little brother in his room, not the captain and nor the asshole who refused to give answers or justify everything he has done. So until the team came traipsing in for breakfast, Sourav savored the peacefulness, stroking Rahul's hair with care he really wanted to show to his awake self too if he wasn't so fucking annoying.

The team had taken to hanging out in their room at mealtimes, all of their rough and toughness fading into clinginess. Despite the void that existed between Rahul and the rest of them, everyone was shaken to the core at the happenings. The kids who anyway had played more under Rahul, especially so. It was sort of cute if a bit sad, watching Rahul awkwardly put up with their affection. Even before everything, Rahul had always been a little shy of too much affection, leaving most of the tactile parts to Sourav. Now, with the silence that had existed in the team since Chappel, he had seemingly forgotten how he used to deal with it, constantly surprised and uncomfortable by people hugging him, loudly demanding to know if he was ok. Everyone was willingly ignoring that there still were problems, problems that needed to be talked about.

Biggest surprise of which had been their wicketkeeper, Mahi. The long haired lad was quieter and not the most physically affectionate. But Mahi just refused to leave Rahul's side whenever he was in the room, glaring at everyone who tried to take his place. He still didn't say much, nor did he grab Rahul into sudden hugs or try to drag him into conversations. But he just sat, a heavy frown on his face until Rahul would look at him and tell him to do something.

And as nice as all this was, he could also tell his brother was tiring of having to perform and keep up a face. He had stopped bothering to put up a show around the four of them, instead sinking into a dazed silence when it was just them; but he couldn't do the same infront of the team. The Rahul the team saw was very different from the Rahul they saw. The one the others saw was a leader. The one he saw, was pale, terrified, and defensive, who only spoke when he absolutely had to no matter how much they pressed.

Which was why he was surprised when the man initiated the conversation in what felt like first time in years, before lunch. But perhaps he shouldn't have been.

"Sourav?"

All three of them turned from where they were lying around in the room, surprised that Rahul was speaking off his own chord. Rahul was sitting up against the headboard, meeting his eyes with a careful expression.

"What is it? Does something hurt? Are you feeling fine-" Sourav got up from his armchair, rushing over to him, feeling his forehead.

Rahul's lips stretched into a thin sorrowful smile, "I am fine. Just. Can we have lunch and dinner alone? Just-just us four? Not everyone. I mean, I don't mind them. I could never. I just-"

"Rahul," Anil interrupted him walking over to him with a concerned face, "It's fine. We can eat alone if that's what you want. I will tell the team you aren't well. Don't worry,".

Rahul smiled at him despite the pain. Grateful. Sourav unconsciously, carressed his hair, heart tinging with something he couldn't recognize.

"Why though?" Sachin asked. He, unlike them, was staring at Rahul with a calculative gaze, "Do you have something to tell us perhaps?"

Rahul's ears reddened and he looked down at his lap answering hoarsely, "N-no. Just. Just tired I guess,".

"Are you sure there is nothing you want to tell us in the privacy of just us?" Sachin continues pressing. Sourav looked back and forth, confused.

"Can you two just spit it out?" he snapped, "What's going on?"

Neither of them answered him, though Sachin's stare increased in intensity.

"Fucking answer me!"

Sachin took a deep breath and returned to normalcy, "Nothing Dadi. Just wondered why Rahul is suddenly seeking us out. Now if you will excuse me, I have a team to check on,".

Before any of them could say another word, Sachin got up and walked out of the room, leaving a wide eyed Rahul staring after him.

What the fuck was going on?