9

"Are you a cutter?"

Rahul took a deep breath, "Used to be,".

Dr. Sally touched the recent one, "This looks fresh," she stepped back looking at him sternly.

Rahul prepared his next words carefully, "Listen ma'am, I am undergoing treatment for these... tendencies already. I can provide you proof if you require. I have just one request,".

She eyed him calculatively, "What is it?"

"Don't let this reach my colleagues," he put emphasis on the word colleagues, "I am a-"

"I know who you are Rahul Dravid," the doctor sighed moving back, "We watch cricket in West Indies,".

Rahul gave her a small smile, "Then you might know why I don't want this to reach my teammates,".

Dr Sally rubbed her forehead. She was conflicted. On one hand, she needed to report this to his family at least. On the other hand, he was right, he was Rahul Dravid after all. Even a passing cricket fan knew of his impact on the sport and his country. There were already going to be scandals regarding his... altercation. It was a delicate situation.

He did say he is undergoing treatment though. Though they were all warned to not believe the words of such patients, he was Rahul Dravid. Why would he lie?

"Ok, sir. I will give you my email address. Please do send your treatment proof there," she sighed and moved on. There was a lot to get done after all.

Rahul was relieved that his plan worked out. So relieved that he proceeded to be zoned out during the entire examination, only paying attention when it was time to put his shirt back on. Again the nurse had to help, his ribs were screaming everytime he moved too much.

His teammates were called in soon after.

This time there was no hand in his hair, nobody standing right beside, nobody just gently there. The three of them maintained their distance nodding along to what the doctor was saying. Something about possible broken ribs, bruised kidneys, mild concussion and some other tests. Rahul was only slightly on earth while they talked so he wasn't very sure. He was floating in a sea of relief and pain at once. It was an odd combination but he took it nonetheless. Anything to escape from his terrible reality.