suddenly, uther began to laugh, so loud the table practically shook. morgana took this as a sign to question him further, "do you think you could still win the crown?" she asked her father...i mean...guardian..

"the kingdom needs him to rule, not to fight." arthur cut morgana off as isabella ate her food silently, her eyes scanning each of them as they spoke.

"you think i cannot do both?" the king asked, clearly very amused by the situation.

"you are not as young as you used to be." morgana spoke teasingly, "besides, i need someone to keep me company in the stands."

"um, i am right here." isabella said sarcastically. morgana chuckled, apologising.

"if you'll excuse me, i need to prepare for the tournament. merlin." arthur stood up, calling his servant to go with him.

"it is such a shame. it would have been good for the people to see you compete one last time." morgana sighed as isabella raised a brow suspiciously at her. what was she up to? "but still, arthur's probably right. you can't do everything."

the king stopped eating in thought and glanced at the girl, and they stayed silent for the rest of the meal.

THE NEXT morning, isabella walked in step with estella up to the stands. the princess smiled hearing all of the claps and loud cheers for her. estella looked up at isabella with a smile in adoration, she was so proud of her.

isabella reached the final step and faced the people, and sent them a polite wave before moving to stand in front of her throne. arthur pendragon spotted her and smiled to himself, walking forward towards her. she raised a brow and looked down at him in confusion.

he reached up and handed her a single flower, a rose. she shook her head with a small laugh and reached down to hug him, thanking him again and sitting down on her throne.

"you two are so lovely together." estella spoke with a small smile, tapping isabella to get her attention.

"as are you and merlin. tell me, how is your...relationship going?" she asked curiously. estella blushed and turned away.

"he is most likely the nicest person i have ever met. i would love for my parents to meet him...it is not like it is forbidden. we are both peasants after all." the girl said sarcastically.

isabella let out a very unladylike snort, a hand going over her stomach as she laughed. "you are not a peasant!" she giggled, but then noticed a very poor man looking at her in confusion.

"an there is also nothing wrong with being a peasant." she announced a bit louder so the man heard her.

strangely, morgana then stood up, and isabella was confused when she began to speak instead of the king. "it is my pleasure to welcome you all to camelot. this is a contest like no other. it is open to all comers." as she spoke, the trumpets began to make a loud tune as she smiled, "including our reigning champion, the king." she introduced as the crowd cheered.

"oh, dear me." isabella sighed, looking bewildered. she also couldn't help but notice how clear it was that morgana felt so powerful speaking to the people.

"there are no rules, no weapons are banned. the last man standing takes the prize. myself and the princess, isabella—" she began, pausing for loud cheers and claps as the princess waved again, "wish you good luck."