She needed to get out of her situation as soon as possible and her only hope was Fidelis. She remembered that she had only a day to respond to his email with the documents he needed to process her admission which she would be able to do with access to a computer or phone as her documents were already saved in the cloud.

She thought of his suggestion involving befriending Sharon and decided to swing into action.

She left the room, hoping to find her way to the kitchen. As she slowly walked along the corridor, she saw a door to a bedroom hanging open and read the tag on it announcing that it was the study room.

She heard Donovan's voice as he was talking to his younger siblings.

"Your backs or your mischievous little asses. Pick one. now! "

She heard the children whimper fearfully without giving a response.

"I'm waiting. "

"We're sorry. " the girl said, sniffling.

The boy was sniffling too.

"Please we don't want to get the belt, please." the girl begged.

"You guys are never going to do that again, are we clear?" Donovan grated, the hardness of his voice causing Boma to shudder. God, Donovan was terrifying.

"Yes." they chorused, their voices shaky.

"Good. But I still need to flog the hell out of you guys so that next time, you will know what decisions to make, got that? "

Boma could tell that he was prepared to punish them because of how fearful they sounded. She could already picture him holding a belt before the sorry kids and she felt bad for them. She wished she could do something to help.

She heard the girl start to cry. "Please I'm sorry. I won't do it again. Please."

The boy's pleading voice joined his sister's. "We won't do it again, please. Please."

"You know what, I will spare your backs and stubborn asses. That means we're going for your palms. So, you first, Jane. Hold out your hand. Now. "

" No, no, no, please…please. " she heard Josh plead. " Okay, punish me first. I will also take Jane's lashes. I promise we won't be bad again."

Boma had heard that twins might fight all the time but they shared a close bond. Hearing him ready to take his sister's punishment broke her heart in a way that she could not imagine. Tears stood in her eyes. She heard the silence in the room and hoped that Donovan was touched too.

"Josh," Donovan said in a dire tone.

"Sir."

"Jane."

"Sir."

"The next time you both get out of line, I will so punish you that you won't have the strength to take each other's pain like you always suggest. You know me very well. Are we clear? "

" Yes. " they chorused in contrite voices full of hope that their big brother had forgiven them. Boma shared in their hope.

"I'm not letting you off completely," Donovan told them. "I want to see your apology notes in my room before 6:00 pm. alright?"

"Yes Sir." the twins responded earnestly. Boma could hear the relief in their voices.

"Good. See you soon. Your big brother loves you very much okay? Come here for a hug before I change my mind you naughty tweenies."

Boma almost smiled as she heard the hint of gentleness in his tone. She heard ruffling and knew the kids were doing as he asked.

"We love you too." she heard them say.

Boma felt touched by his change of heart and show of affection in that moment of chastisement. Perhaps he had some good in him, she thought but the thought didn't make her any less afraid of him.

Backing off, she continued on her way, hoping to find the kitchen. She soon found another slightly open door. From the gap, she saw that it was the living room. She deduced that the kitchen might just be there, so she gently pushed the door open and entered an ornately furnished parlor.

She perceived the aroma of food and knew she was right. She immediately spotted an adjoining dining table in a corner of the large room.

As she admired her surrounding, Sharon emerged from the kitchen and stood with her mouth agape upon sighting her.

"Hi." Boma greeted. "I'm Boma."

Sharon got over her surprise at finding her there. Then her features became guarded.

"Sharon," she said reluctantly. "Any problem?"

"I am..." Boma began.

"My big brother's girlfriend, I perceive." Sharon interrupted, looking at her expectantly as though waiting for her confirmation.

" I uh... " Boma hesitated about professing the title but decided it was what it was at the moment.

"Yes," she confirmed.

"Hmm. You must be pretty special."

The comment forced Boma's mouth slightly agape. "Really? Why?"

"I know he dates girls but in a long time he has not brought a girl to this house."

" Oh." Boma didn't know how to feel about that. "Maybe I'm here because your parents are not around?" she suggested.

The girl considered her suggestion for a moment.

"Maybe," she said. " But that can't be it."

"Why not? "

"Because your reasoning suggests that I said he has not brought a girl before. What I'm saying is that you're the second. The first one was of course his girlfriend and even she stayed in the guest room."

"Oh."

"You get me now. "

"Yeah. "

"Anyway, can I help you with something?"

"No, I mean, yes. Like... I mean, I like you and wonder if we can be friends."

The girl stared at her, unbelieving.

"You're Donovan's girlfriend, right? "

"Yes. "

"Then, no. I'm not a big fan of him right now even though I love him. So I would rather you avoid me. "

"Well, I need your help. "

Sharon gave her a scrutinizing look and Boma returned a skeptical look as she took a furtive look towards the door she had come in from, indicating that what she needed to say was for Sharon's ears only.

"Let's talk in the kitchen," said Sharon.