"Why have I never seen you around?" asked Donovan and it seemed like he was wondering aloud.

"I don't go out much."

"Hmm. My secondary education was overseas anyway. That must have contributed as well."

Boma finally understood why he had a distinct and polished accent.

"Yeah. Maybe."

"I also used to visit there because of a member in my fraternity."

"Okay."

The gate of the home where she had encountered the rude boy came into view and Donovan pointed at it. "We used to live there," he said, surprising her.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Like from how long ago?"

"I was born in that house."

"Did you use to have curly hair? "

Donovan's eyes scanned her suspiciously. "Yes. Why?"

For the first time, Boma's brows furrowed together in unhidden anger at him.

"It was you who threw a ball at me when I was riding my bicycle." she accused, forgetting her fear of him.

"I don't remember."

"How can you?" she began heatedly. " You're nothing but a spoilt rich kid. "

Boma gasped as he backhanded her across the cheek causing her to see stars. She looked at him with cloudy eyes.

" Watch your mouth. " his husky voice coldly warned. "Are you crazy? You're talking to me like that for what?"

" I'm sorry. " she tearfully apologized afraid that he would hit her again.

" You're lucky I'm in a good mood. "

Pain hit her face as the stars danced before her eyes. she tried to stop herself from bursting into tears due to the pain. Seconds passed and she didn't burst into tears but she began to taste the salty streak of her tears which had begun to flow down her hurting cheeks.

"Do not speak again until you have my permission," he said dismissively.

She met Phillip's eyes in the rearview mirror. His eyes showed empathy. Then he avoided her gaze.

Through blurry eyes, she quietly watched her surroundings and tried composing herself as they came upon a line of luxury buildings each on their own. It was a quiet neighborhood with tall trees, colorful flowers, and secluded parks. Each home was a luxurious estate bordered from the rest of its neighbors by private gates and fences.

It didn't take long for Phillip to stop by the one at the end of a lane, making it the last house on the street.

"Home sweet home," Donovan said as Phillip pressed on the horn. Then he stepped out of the car and Donovan did the same, taking the wheel.

As Boma wondered what was going on, Philip waved her goodbye and headed down the quiet street.

"Phillip lives a block from here. We have been friends for a long time. We went from neighbors to friends. But we met overseas and were surprised when we bumped into each other here. People in this neighborhood live private lives. "

Boma didn't respond. Donovan was not expecting any response either. He was just explaining things because he knew she had questions about Phillip's move.

He pressed on the horn and the gate slid open. He drove in, ignoring the security man at the gate.

From Boma's observation, the man seemed used to his obnoxious behavior as he simply minded his work by hitting the close button that slid the gate shut.