Ch 26 : Semi final

Despite the heavy weight of uncertainty hanging over them, Smriti knew that life had to go on, especially for Harleen's sake. With a newfound determination fueled by her love for Harleen, Smriti rose from her bed, determined to make a difference.

She led by example, rallying the team to focus on their training, channeling their energy into preparing for the upcoming match. Each movement, each drill, was done with Harleen in mind, a silent dedication to their missing teammate. Now everyone was shocked to see her like that but they didn't poke as it was better to see her grinding than sulking.

As they practiced, Smriti couldn't shake the worry gnawing at her heart, but she pushed it aside, knowing that Harleen would want them to carry on, to fight for victory in her honor. With each punch, each kick, Smriti poured her love and hope into the training.

As the sun drowned on the horizon, the time had come for the crucial semi-final match against England. Despite the team's shattered morale in the wake of Harleen's departure and the uncertainty of her fate, Smriti emerged as a beacon of strength, rallying her teammates with a fervent determination to honor Harleen.

The match was grueling, each play fraught with tension as England pushed back relentlessly. Yet, amidst the chaos, Smriti held firm, her bat cutting through the air with precision as she scored a remarkable century. With every run, she whispered a silent dedication to Harleen, a promise to fight on in her absence.

As the final whistle blew and India emerged victorious, the stadium erupted in cheers. Smriti stood tall, her heart heavy with the absence of her beloved teammate, yet buoyed by the knowledge that they had prevailed. Amidst the celebrations, she was called for an interview with Harsha Bhogle, the weight of her emotions evident in every word she spoke.

Harsha Bhogle: "Congratulations, Smriti, on an outstanding performance today. The pitch seemed a bit slow out there. How did you manage to score that century?"

Smriti: "Thank you, Harsha. Yes, the pitch was indeed tricky, but I focused on playing each ball on its merit and sticking to my strengths."

Harsha Bhogle: "Absolutely, a commendable display of skill. Now, onto a more somber note, we've all heard about Harleen's departure. How is the team coping with her absence?"

Smriti: *takes a deep breath* "Harleen is a true soilder, Harsha. She once told me that her duty to the nation comes above all else. We're all incredibly proud of her commitment to protecting our country's honor, even in the face of danger."

Harsha Bhogle: "That's incredibly inspiring, Smriti. And I heard you dedicated your century to her. Can you tell us more about that?"

Smriti: "Yes, Harleen has always been a source of inspiration for me. I wanted to honor her bravery and dedication by dedicating my century to her. She's an integral part of our team, and we're all rooting for her safe return."

Harsha Bhogle: "A heartfelt tribute indeed. I'm sure she'll appreciate the gesture. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, Smriti. And congratulations once again."

Smriti: "Thank you, Harsha." *leaves the stage with heavy eyes*

Despite the excitement of reaching the finals, the atmosphere within the Indian team remained heavy with worry for Harleen. The victory didn't bring the usual joy, overshadowed by the uncertainty surrounding their missing comrade. Smriti attempted to lift the team's spirits, but her own anxiety gnawed at her. She couldn't shake off the fear gripping her heart, constantly searching for any news about Harleen from the TV room to her own quarters.

In the solitude of her thoughts, Smriti silently prayed for Harleen's safe return. Every moment stretched into an eternity as she yearned for just a glimpse of Harleen, longing to pour out her feelings to her. All she wished for was a chance to express the depth of her love to the one who held her heart.