one

The sound of a metallic shaft being lifted rang threw my ears. I pinched my eyes tighter and cupped my hands over my ears. I tried my best to make the sound stop until it finally did.

I let my hands fall away from my ears, and slowly opened my eyes. All I could see was a few crates in the dark and an endless bottom under the cage.

In worry I looked around, searching for a way to exit this metallic prison. Unknown for the reason why I was in there, I moved into the corner of the cage, pulling my legs up to my chest. I wrapped my arms around my legs, looking around at the cold and dark area. Hoping I could remember something, anything I took deep breaths, mentally begging for freedom.

Suddenly voices started filling my ears. I looked up, noticing the top of the cage opening. I pinched her eyes closed as the bright light attacked my eyes.

"What?" someone spoke, his voice sounding surprised, but also forcefully angry.

"I thought Teresa was the last one?" another voice said, silencing the other one.

A thud landed in the cage, causing me to open my eyes. In front of me stood a boy. He had blond hair and wore ragged clothing. He bent down to me, looking at me as I took rapid breaths.

"That's a girl?" someone spoke, making me look up at them.

There stood about ten to twenty boys who looked down at me, all surprised and shocked. They were all whispering to each other, looking down at this lost girl who sat curled up in the corner of the cage.

"Hello," the blond boy said, catching my attention again. I sat there, completely motionless. All that moved was my chest and my eyes. "Can I help you out?" he asked, giving his hand out.

I looked at his hand but didn't reach out mine. I looked back at him, too scared and overwhelmed to do or say anything.

"Maybe she'll talk to Teresa," a boy with dark hair said from the top of the cage. He looked Chinese, or something. "Where is she Thomas?" he asked, looking at another boy with dark hair.

He suddenly disappeared, and soon after returned. "Teresa, it's another girl," he said, pointing down at me.

A girl popped up, her hair dark, long and brown. She smiled when she saw me, immediately jumping down into the cage.

"Hello?" she said, smiling. "I'm Teresa," she said, reaching out her hand.

Freely I took her hand, allowing her to pull me up. We got out of the cage, surprising me with an entire settlement.

There were little huts in the corner of the 4x4 wall covered area. There were fields that were covered in plantations and people busy farming. Trees were bundled up in the one corner of the place, forming quite nice shade.

Teresa led me through the place, taking me to a big hut, which was basically a roof resting in wooden poles. Everyone completely stopped what they were doing and looked at the two girls.

I realized that there weren't any other females in sight. We entered the hut, and Teresa showed me to sit down on a chair, which was carved out of wood.

"I bet you have questions..." Teresa said, sitting down next to me.

Six boys stood in the room, all curious on why I came up in the box if Teresa had a note saying she was the last one, ever.

"Yes," I said, making Teresa smile. "Where am I?" I asked, frowning.

"Well, this is the glade. We are in the middle of a maze," Teresa said, looking at the boys, who were all glad that I was speaking.

I looked at the boys, completely confused. "H- How did I get here?" I asked, my voice filled with curiosity.

"You came up in the cage, like all of us," Teresa answered, looking back at me. The room fell silent, and Teresa stood up, walking over to the boys. "I don't understand how she is so calm?" she whispered, standing with her back against me.

The boys looked passed her, seeing the girl stand up and look around the room.

"The question is why is she here?" Gally asked, crossing his arms. He looked surprised, but quite bothered by my arrival. "You had a note-"

"I know I had a note Gally. But she's here now!" Teresa interrupted furiously.

"Let's give her some space," Thomas said, pulling on Gally's arm. "Teresa can stay with her, since she only wants to speaks to her right now," he said, letting go of Gally and walking out of the hut. The other boys, including Gally followed him, leaving Teressa alone with me.

Teresa sat back down, looking at how I examined the room. I looked at a table, seeing the perfectly cut edges. I traced her fingers along it, walking around the table. The colours faded like water was spilled on it, repeatedly. The chairs around the table were also faded around edges, like they had been chipped. Teresa smiled when I finally sat down again, finished examining the room.

"Why are we here?" I asked, looking back at Teresa.

"I don't know," Teresa replied, losing her smile, knowing she couldn't answer all my questions. Something felt off with her. "No one knows," she frowned, looking out the door at the boys who were working.

"How long have you been here?" I asked, looking out at the boys.

"Three months," Teresa jeered, earning a shocked look from me. "I was the last one to come up the box. Until you," she sighed. Teresa stood up, looking back down at me. "I think Minho, or someone will be in here shortly to show you around," she said before disappearing out of the hut.

As she left I stood up, walking out of the hut, looking at the glade. The green grass looked wonderful in between the people. They were all busy with their little jobs. Farming or building or running. They all seemed busy, whether it was watering crops or chopping wood.

The sky was pure blue, with barely a cloud in sight.