Part 14: [i rejoice in you]

The air between them got the slight tinge of oranges, and Tendō thought that he would have to add the lemon/s to the afternoon ice tea as soon as they got home. His eyes wandered towards the brown paper bags, and then up – towards Ushijima's huge, terrified eyes.

- I... I'd be lost without you. I think... I wouldn't know what to do without you!

This was the closest to a whimper Wakatoshi's deep voice could produce, and suddenly Satori felt immense pity in his heart. He didn't know how to calm that fire down any more. Reassuring words did not seem to work. Small petting gestures were just fleeting, in the moment. Gifts and delicious food were one of Tendō's love languages, and usually those were quite enough, but not lately. In the recent days, his Toshi needed something else, and he was running out of options.

He would have gladly taken him on a trip, a change of air would have done them both a world of good. But the doctors were quite blunt: if Ushijima Wakatoshi was to return to training soon, his body had to take enough time to heal. Short walks were all Satori had at his disposal, and those were far from enough for someone living a life as active as his husband.

He bit his lips. There was only one option that would combine intense movement, without strain, which was simultaneously a token of his love.

Minding the bags now, not wishing to cause any more damage, he sighed and took the short trip around Wakatoshi's massive figure, now standing behind him, and pitifully thinking to himself that he was actually hiding this way.

He hugged the broad back, a strong hug, squeezing, signaling that he meant what he was saying, and spoke into Ushijima's sun-scorched jacket:

- It's really very simple, my precious love... I will never leave, because... you are my happiness. Wakatoshi-kun, do you even understand?! But... Ahh... Let's get back to percentages, shall we? Mmmm... you smell so good, husband... But... I digress! Listen now. No living thing can forever be at 100%, yea? Sometimes we are at 60%, and sometimes we are at 15% even. You are young, and so strong, and so pretty... you are used to living a life at 100... but... Even your amazing body needs rest sometimes... it needs time off. A break. A pause. So that you can be at 100% soon again. And you will be, trust me. You will be...

Ushijima was listening very carefully, standing very still under the hot sun, like a statue, forgetting to even breathe. The thin arms were hugging him from behind, just like they were doing earlier today, in the morning, and his heart was melting again... He would have been melting even if it was just for his lover's touch, even without him saying anything. But the words made the effect so much stronger that he felt dizzy. He listened. He waited for his Satori to reach the end. There was going to be a solution at the end, he had zero doubts about this. His Satori-kun held all the answers, always. Somehow. It was quite the miracle, really.

- You say you feel useless... but this is bullshit, dear. I just did the bare minimum. I did what every husband in the world would do. I have done nothing special... I know that you'd also take care of me, if I were the one sick. I don't doubt it, I don't doubt you, my pretty Toshi-kun... And see? This is the best feeling in the world. And this is something nobody else can give me. Just you. You are unique. And you are mine. I am so... lucky. So blessed! And I want... I want...

Wakatoshi felt numb. Here it came. The answer. He was finally going to get the answer to his question. Finally, there was going to be something he could give back. Something to match all the love and care and attention he had been getting generously in the last fortnight.

Tendō let go, quite reluctantly, and circled back, to face his lemon-like-smelling love

Tendō let go, quite reluctantly, and circled back, to face his lemon-like-smelling love. His cheeks were burning, and he had to remind himself to take off his jacket, and soon. He stepped very close, pressing himself lightly against the bag full of apples and lilac, and murmured, loud enough for only his husband to hear:

- You can be great to me too. You can show me your love too. You are already doing it, but it seems you can't see it... But it's OK. We can do it better, we can make it stronger. And... as I'm not letting you go out for a run... any time soon... I suggest...

Satori's voice trailed, and Wakatoshi's heart was racing in his chest. Wide-eyed, he listened, totally craving to be able to touch this gentle, elusive part of himself, his better half.

The red-haired man stood on tiptoe again, and their eyes met, their gazes locked. Each thought that the color of the other's eyes, sun-kissed now, was mesmerizing.

Tendō whispered hurriedly, shy and excited at the same time:

- Tonight, you train with me. Tonight, I want to be yours too, just like you're mine. Tonight, you'll show me all your love. Just like before.

Wakatoshi's face was burning, but his heart was exploding, ponding so hard between his lungs that he felt not just breathless, he felt sick. He knew what this was all about. He could only breathe thought his open mouth, unable to look away, needing to kiss the love of his life.

- Sa-tori...

- I miss you. It's been too long. And I believe you've healed just enough to take me. To have me...

There was a light smirk on the pale lips, but Tendō's heart was bursting too. He enjoyed the view of Wakatoshi's crimson face for half a minute longer, before leaning in, tulips and daffodils pressed against his bosom, and kissed the parted lips with a purr and a praise:

- So pretty... so beautiful... And mine... All mine! Mine, Toshi-kun! You are and you will be again.

Ushijima's head was spinning, but as soon as the kiss was over and they could stare at each other a little more, he only managed to mutter:

- Let's go home, Satori-kun. But one more kiss before we do. Can we?

Ringing laughter. People staring already.

- Anything for my lovely Captain! - Satori chirped, before obliging him.