- TWENTY-ONE -

The first punch to my stomach turns my vision white

One guy holds me steady from behind so his brass-knuckled friend can beat me without any slack.

The puncher lets out a haunting chuckle, pummeling me again.

The air gets knocked out of me and my knees weaken.

"You're all cowards," Bella mutters. "Beating up a defenseless woman, barely clothed. Your mothers would be so proud."

Someone presses the barrel of their gun into her temple. "Shut up, bitch. Your daddy has his own plans for you, otherwise you'd be next."

I try not to unwrap the meaning of that but Bella remains defiant and unbothered. Then my eyes flick to Ken, who quietly studies me, no doubt enjoying every moment of my suffering.

When the third punch comes, I manage to twist to the side to avoid him hitting the same area. It still hurts, but not as bad as it would have.

I breathe through the pain, refusing to cry for this bastard. Even though this is the end for me, I'll look him in the eye with my bloody smile until my final breath.

That's all he'll get from me.

After the fourth hit, my punisher angles his head. "Not even a tear, baby girl? I guess I need to take it up a notch."

He swings his elbow back for a harder impact just as a gunshot rings the room.

My assailant drops to the ground, a real life Goliath shaking the floorboards. A bullet smack dab in the head. 

Everyone looks over to see Brandon standing in the hallway, shielded by the guy who took Nova to another room.

He presses one gun to the man's neck while another one aims at Ken. "Looking for me?" Brandon asks.

Hope swells my chest.

He came back.

The man holding me, tips the point of his knife at my throat. "Put the gun down or she dies," he warns.

"Think about your options, Brandon," Ken says next. "It's eight versus two. There's no way you're walking out of this alive."

As much as I hate to admit it, Ken's right. Every gun in the room is on Brandon. He doesn't stand a chance.

Brandon's eyes flick from his sister to me. "I'll give you the flash drive in exchange for Nataly, Nova, my sister, and my niece."

Ken shakes his head, chuckling. "No. You're in no position to negotiate."

"Says the man with a gun pointed at his heart," Brandon counters.

"You kill me, they kill you," Ken barks back. "No deal."

The man holding me at knife-point growls. "Mr. Lion would disagree, Mr. Scott." He regards Brandon as if they're the only men in the room. "You can have Nataly in exchange for the flash drive, but that's it."