- NINE -

The rest stop is a hive of people, probably because Exit 139 is the first restroom stop we've come across in an hour

I've never had a problem with crowds like this. Of course all that has changed now that I'm public enemy number one. Ken has the entire west coast hunting for me and my sister.

"Are you sure about this?" I ask, eyeing the picnic tables with families eating their mid-afternoon lunches. "I mean, there's even a line wrapping around that tree for the women's restroom."

Nova yawns, stirring in the back.

"You wanna know the funny thing about hiding from the police?" Brandon muses. "It works best when you do so in plain sight. As of now, everyone is looking for a young girl with her sister in a Mercedes. Not two young parents and their kid driving a rundown Camry."

"You're oddly okay with the fact that someone could easily recognize one of our faces," I point out.

He sighs, undoing the sleeves of his mechanic uniform, then reaching for his jacket in the back. "What you fail to realize is that this is the perfect opportunity."

"For what?"

"This place is crawling with future Vegas tourists. People who are excited to get their vacation started and who are not paying attention to their wallets or mood-dampening Amber Alerts. We're not going to make it to the first safe house by nightfall. That means we need to steal someone's ID. Someone who looks similar to one of us for a hotel check-in."

"Um, we?"

"Yeah, you're right. Let's go with someone like you. It's too risky having me check into a hotel."

"Seriously? Brandon, I can't—"

"Nataly you're already a kidnapper and an accomplice to auto theft. What's the big deal in swiping some lady's wallet for one night? By the time she officially reports it, we'll be long gone and on the road again."

I huff, brushing my long golden curls into a bun. "The problem, Brandon, is that I'm not stealthy like you. Some of us weren't raised to steal cars and wallets at the same time we were learning how to pee in a toilet."

He smirks. "It's not that complicated. Strike up a conversation with someone who looks like you, point at something in the distance, and sneak your hand into their purse. Then, pull out the wallet and bingo. A free temporary ID."

"God, you make it sound so easy."

"Well it ain't rocket science."

"Natawee?" Novas yawns. "Are we here?"

I turn around with a bright smile. "Hey bug! We've stopped for a potty break."

Brandon turns around next. "Hey, ladybug? How would you like to play a game?" I give him a questioning look. "A game where we all call each other by our Nightmare Before Christmas names around other people? That means we call me Jack. Sissy is Sally. And you..."