- FIVE -

The second I pull into McDonald's and unbuckle my seatbelt, I turn to Brandon

The second I pull into McDonald's and unbuckle my seatbelt, I turn to Brandon. "Thank you for this. We'll be fast, I swear."

Just as I'm about to step out of the car, Brandon grabs my wrist. "Oh, I'm going in with you girls. Thought I'd get us breakfast while you take our little oogie boogie potty."

Nova beams at the reference.

Meanwhile my heart sinks into my chest cavity. But honestly, what did I expect? Of course he isn't going to risk us going inside without him. His freedom is quite dependent on no one finding out that he's an escaped convict.

Still, there's got to be a way to escape him. There's got to be.

It's not like I can furtively alert the McDonald's employees. He actually selected just the right girl to do all of his bidding for him today. If I rat on Brandon, I rat on me. He may be an escaped convict, but once Ken wakes up, I'll be a kidnapper.

So I force a smile back at him. "Okay. Nova likes pancakes and I like the McMuffin."

He holds out his hand. "Not gonna lie. I'm going to need some financial assistance from my sugar mama."

I roll my eyes, extracting a twenty dollar bill from my purse. And hand it to him reluctantly.

"What's a sugah mama?" echoes Nova curiously.

Brandon tries to answer but I quickly cut him off, giving him a huge parental scowl. "It's just a lady who is really sweet, bug."

Brandon gives an amused chuckle. "Keys?" he asks.

Groaning, I toss him the car keys.

"Thanks, princess," he says, blowing me a kiss before getting out of the car.

Shaking my head, I follow.

I'm helping Nova wash her hands when I wonder if we should just sneak out the back door

If Brandon is ordering food, he'll be preoccupied. And honestly, I've been needing to find a way to ditch Ken's car anyway. It won't be long before we're on the news—most likely every station.

This could be my opportunity to find a new means of transportation, whether that be through a kind stranger lending us a ride or us having to take a bus. The most important thing is that we'll be free of a really bad guy.

I won't have the rest of my money but I do have $800 in my purse. That has to count for something. Right?

"Okay Nova, listen up."

My sister twirls around after drying her hands, her purple hoodie swallowing her up whole. Little delicate curls frame her tiny face. She may have gotten a lot of Ken's lighter features but she mostly got Mom's free spirit. Which I envy.

"So I left something in the car but we have to be really quiet when going outside to get it."

She scrunches her nose skeptically. "Why?"

"B-because...I have to get something for Brandon but it's a surprise." Here I go lying to her again, but I'm too afraid to tell her the truth. She's taken a surprising liking to him so fast.

"But I wanna eat my panhakes!"

I kneel to her level, grabbing her by the shoulders. "Nova? I need you to be a big girl for me and do what I say, okay? Otherwise, no Disneyland. No Jack or Oogie Boogie."

She huffs, pouting her bottom lip.

"Okay?" I ask again.

She nods, folding her arms angrily.

"Good." I stand back up and grab her tiny hand, leading her out of the bathroom behind me.

The order station is around the corner. I can't even see Brandon unless I walk up a few paces. But the back door is to my left and allows me an easy escape. Without further hesitation, I charge for the back door, yanking Nova with me.

Outside, the air hits cold, even with the sun fully up. I see a LaQuinta hotel in the distance and decide to start there. If I can book us a room, that will give me a night to figure out our transportation and we can hide it out until Brandon is long gone.

Relief fills my lungs as I pick up Nova and start to run faster towards the hotel. My plan only works if we make it there unseen.

"Natawee, the car's back there!" Nova points.

But I ignore her protests, beelining for the hotel.

Just as I round the corner, a figure cloaked in grease and a VitaTekk hat steps out. "Going somewhere, buttercup?"

My heart plummets into my stomach. What the actual hell? How did he get out here so quickly?

"Bandon!" Nova yells cheerfully. "Hey, where are my panhakes, mister?"

Brandon snags my arm. He must be at least 6'3 and his brooding cobalt eyes narrow down on me.

My throat bobs.

"I had a feeling sissy would get lost," he tells Nova. "So I came outside to make sure she didn't do anything stupid."

"Daddy says stupid is a bad word. We're not awowed to say it."

I sigh, setting Nova down. "Come on, Nova. Let's get your pancakes."

Nova takes my hand and starts tugging me forward eagerly while Brandon slips his arm around my waist, anchoring me to him, which slows her down. His fingers dig into my midriff with ardent possession. "Next time you try to ditch me," he whispers gruffly, "don't take the most obvious escape route, princess." 

WC: 942

Total WC: 7550