- NINETEEN -

**explicit sex scene marked by 🌶️ **

Fury as hot as volcanic lava circulates my bloodstream. Seemingly small details flash like red-sign warnings in my head. Signs I hadn't picked up on back then.

The times Ken exited my room after claiming he was replacing the smoke detector.

The time he "remodeled" my bathroom.

The time some of the older deacons at church looked at me, their eyes trailing my body as if it belonged to them.

Had they seen me in the shower?

Undressing in my room?

Another shudder ripples across my body, and after the intense rage, I am left with nothing but a terrible feeling of powerlessness.

Ken didn't just isolate me from the world. He took everything I considered sacred. My bedroom. My bathroom. Places that shouldn't have belonged to anyone but me.

I break all over again.

Brandon is there at my side, holding me as I cry.

"I've got you," he says, guiding me to the bed. "Whatever you need, I'm here."

The tears are endless. Maybe because I'm finally allowing myself to let some of it out. It's been buried like a weight inside my chest for so long. I've had to endure Ken's violations for years knowing no one would believe me, knowing I had zero proof.

Until now.

I push away from Brandon. "We have to take this to the police. Now."

"It's eleven o'clock. I promise we'll go first thing in the morning. Bell has the day off and I'm sure she'd be happy to take the kids to the park while we deal with the police. That way our little Oogie won't have to sit in a police station and you can get some rest before you're questioned."

My shoulders sink. "You're right."

As much as I want justice, the last thing I want is to hand my little sister over to the government. She's better off with Bella and Cate, people we now know and trust.

"Hey," Brandon says, lightly pushing back some braids. "You will get justice. And so will Lauren Fields." 

"And you?" I ask quietly. He must be eager to clear his name. But Brandon won't just magically be dropped of all charges. There will be a legal process first. He may still have months of prison time ahead.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

I rest my head onto his chest and he trails his fingertips across my spine, setting fire to my skin. His gentleness quiets me to hiccups and a raging headache.

It's while I'm in this broken state that he goes downstairs, tucks Nova into bed, and returns with a cold glass of water, a brownie, and some Advil.

I down it all and curl up next to him on the bed.